21. Addison and the trash cannot

A/N: Kya does a lot of rolling her eyes apparently, but hey, don't we all?

It became a well known fact within the week that Addison liked to bake cookies to make herself feel better. At first, it had agitated her dad because he had to keep buying ingredients, but he got used to it pretty quickly, and besides, he got free cookies. Sometimes if he was lucky Addison would make enough to slip some into his lunch before he went to work. She was in the process of mixing up some dough when the chime of the doorbell caught her attention. She brushed off her floury hands on a towel, heading towards the door. 

"Hey," Addison greeted Kya, who was standing on the doorstep with a bag slung over her shoulder and her brown hair tied up in a lazy ponytail. 

"Hey," Kya said, "cute dress."

Addison smoothed down a fold in the fabric. "You think so?"

"Yeah," Kya grinned, "the patches of flour really bring it all together."

With a scoff, Addison smacked her friend with the towel. "Shut up."

Kya made a grab for the towel, but missed. She laughed, tried again and managed to catch one end. Addison pulled on it, dragging Kya inside, who kicked the door shut as they went. Addison returned to her place at the counter, poking at the dough.

"You didn't tell me you were making cookies for me," Kya mused, reaching out to the bowl.

Smacking her hand away, Addison said, "They're not even cooked yet. Calm yourself." Of course though, that didn't stop Kya from trying to steal the dough several more times within the next five minutes.

"Come on," Addison whined, "you didn't even take your bag off before trying to annoy me!" 

Kya dropped the bag to the floor. "Can I annoy you now?"

"No!" Addison threw her hands up in the air in exasperation, and then had to promptly whip them down again to defend the dough from Kya's hands. "Jesus christ, woman, can't you get salmonella from raw cookie dough?"

Kya chewed thoughtfully on some that she had stolen. "I think whoever came up with that really just wanted to stop me from living my life."

With her head in cupboard, Addison said, "Sure, but don't blame me if the next news headline is 'death by cookies'." There was a muffled clanking sound as Addison searched.

"If that's the case," Kya reached for more cookie dough while it was unguarded, "then that would make you a murderer."

Addison poked her head from around the cupboard door. "Well no but- hey stop eating it!" She dashed over, lifting the baking tray as an empty threat.

"If you beat me with a baking tray that could also turn into murder," Kya exclaimed, trying to look offended, leaning on the table behind her. She pointed her finger at Addison, "I'd be careful if I were you, murder is very frowned upon in this society."

"Everything is frowned upon in this society." Addison flipped her off.

"Including that," Kya pointed out.

"Shut up."

"Are you going to hit me with a towel again?" 

Addison snatched it up from the side of the counter and held it up in mock aggression. "You shouldn't suggest these things," she singsonged as she went to hit Kya with the floury fabric. Kya gasped and stumbled out of the way. They ended up chasing each other around the kitchen, squealing and bumping into furniture. 

For escape, Kya crawled under the table. Addison didn't want to budge past the chairs, so she didn't follow, picking up the baking tray from the table and turning to the counter. She paused. "Hey, wait a second," Addison narrowed her eyes, staring at the deserted surface. "Kya!"