11. Kya and liquid courage

A/N: Just a warning, this chapter literally contains the word 'Jesus' as an exclamation at least 768 times. Obviously. The whole thing is 3000 words long. That's realistic. But yeah basically it says Jesus a lot so sorry about that but hey that's how Kya speaks.
A lot happens in this chapter and I'm not sure if I've gone into enough detail in some elements of it, so if you can comment any feedback, that would really help me out.
Enjoy reading, and don't forget to vote if you liked it c:

Dalacine, the only mental health facility that seemed to be around, was surprisingly not that far from where Kya lived. In fact, it was only about a half hour drive. The problem was that the half hour drive was arguably the most awkward encounter with her parents that she had ever had. They didn't even say anything. Her mum was driving, and her dad was in the passenger seat, with Kya in the seat behind him. She could see his face in the wing mirror, and she wondered if he could see her too. Leaning her head on the window,  she watched the road beside the car. It felt like running. She remembered something she'd heard someone in her class say about exams. 

"Not a clue, man. I'm just gonna run from my responsibilities. Run fast and run far." It had been met with a roar of laughter and some sarcastic remarks. Yet, it was kind of what Kya felt like doing while she was watching the road. Imagining the tarmac sweeping beneath her feet as she ran was kind of therapeutic. She didn't know what she would be running from, but she liked the thought. Maybe she was running to something instead. Running to help, or comfort. That was what Dalacine was supposed to bring.

When they got inside, there was a receptionist at the desk, looking sharp and old, hair scraped back so much that it seemed as if she was tugging her face back too. She didn't have a nice face, not the help or comfort Kya needed. It kind of seemed as if she'd just seen someone shit in the corner, only Kya was fairly sure that hadn't happened. Kya didn't pay much attention as her parents asked the receptionist where to go. The receptionist, although uninterested, called over someone to take them to where they needed to be.

The building was a maze of white walls and doors, broken up with wandering patients and nurses. There was almost something ghostly about them all. Kya wondered if she was considered one of them. These were all people who had been admitted into the mental health facility, told they couldn't leave, or shouldn't, because they probably wouldn't make it on their own. Kya wasn't stuck in these walls for more than an hour or two. She was just meeting a counsellor, and then she could escape.

They came across a lobby of sorts. A bunch of seats where shoved against one of the walls, and another desk with another receptionist was in the corner. Kya slumped in a seat, watching the other people there. She was one of them, ill enough to be here, but not enough to stay. At least to everyone else's knowledge. 

The second receptionist looked up from her computer and called out Kya's name, telling her to go to the second door on the right. Her parents didn't get up, but told her they'd be outside. They weren't really allowed to go in with her anyway. She got up with a shaky breath and pushed open the second door to the right. Inside, there was a man at the desk. He was wearing a pink shirt. It matched a lot of the items on his desk. Kya resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"Hey there!" He spoke in a much more jolly tone than she expected, and the dramatic wave added to the surprise. All Kya did was blink.

"Wait," he said, looking down at some paper in front of him, "you are Kya Allemande, right?"

She nodded slowly.

Relieved, he let out a breath. "Thank God. Wait, you're not religious, are you? I didn't just offend you, did I? I didn't mean to use your God's name in vain."