forty two.

Logan Mayers

I felt someone's presence enter into my room but didn't bother to open my eyes to see who it was. It was probably my mother coming in to wake me up so I could get ready for my appointment.

"Wake up. You got twenty minutes to get ready for this appointment." I realized it was my father instead of my mother.  

"Who taking me?" I asked, opening my eyes some.

"I am. So hurry up and get ready." My eyes popped open quickly, realizing what he just said.

"I thought Ma was taking me."

"She had to go check on Lo. I'll be downstairs waitin'." He responded before he walked out my bedroom door.

I cursed under my breath and kept myself from panicking. This wasn't any normal doctor's appointment. This was an appointment at the heath clinic and that wasn't somewhere I wanted to go with my father.

After showering, washing my face, and brushing my teeth, I quickly dressed in a school crewneck along with some jeans and some slip in sandals.

I pulled my hair into a messy bun and grabbed my phone before dashing out of the room. If you know my father, you know he's very impatient.

"You got everything you need for this appointment?" He asked once I made it downstairs.

"Yes sir. What car you driving?"

"The truck." He picked the keys up from the key's bowl and traveled out the garage door. I locked up the house before doing the same.

I climbed up in the truck and clicked my seatbelt just when he let the garage door up.

"Parsons sent you a letter this mornin'."

"Really? Did you open it?" I smiled a little.

"Nah. I was goin' to let you open it when we get back to the house."

I nod my head and looked out the passenger window.

"My baby's last year of high school. Wow, I'm gettin' old." He leaned up in the seat and took off.

"You're actually young. You're forty one with your oldest being twenty three. Plus, you still look the same."

"Still pullin' hoes at forty one."

"Oh you're pulling hoes? I'm telling." I joked, hearing him smack his lips.

"You want me dead, huh? Knowin' good and well your mama would kill me." He make a sharp left turn.

We finally made it to the crowded health clinic. It was crowded with older females and younger females. Seeing so many young mothers made my mind get to wondering.

My name was called shortly. I wanted to tell me father to stay in the waiting room, but I already knew he wasn't having that.

I might as well get this over with.

After a few minor questions, the lady asked me to urinate in a cup so she could run tests on me. I finished that and washed my hands before leaving out the bathroom.

"Ms. Mayers," the nurse kindly smiled at me. "I'm going to ask you the question that every teenager get asked when they come to the doctor. Are you sexually active?"

And there it goes. The question I've been trying to dodge was finally asked. I looked at my father out the corner of my eye. Of course he was focused on me to see what I was going to say.

Might as well come clean about it.

"Yes." I felt my heart racing as I saw my father lean up in his chair.