Chapter 4

Jonathan's POV

I believe that the worst way to wake up is when the light from the sun peeking through the window decides to shine directly in your eyes. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened this morning.

I squint before groaning and rub my eyes, trying to make the light go away, which didn't work. I groan even louder than before, finally deciding to get up and close the curtains.

I sit up and raise my arms above my head and intertwined my fingers, pushing up until I heard a loud crack which originated from my back.

Looking at my window, I saw that the curtains were closed but the light still crept through. Fuck. Time to buy new curtains, I thought before exiting my bedroom and dragging my feet to the bathroom.

After my exciting trip to the bathroom I trudge to the kitchen, still exhausted. Grabbing a box of Cheerios, I poured its honey contents in to a bowl. Then I walked to the fridge, searching for a carton of milk.

"Fuck!" I yelled after not finding the milk. Guess it's dry cereal for breakfast. After closing the box, I literally threw it back in to the cabinet. All the boxes of cereal and sugar snacks fell to the ground, resulting in cereal littering the floor.

"Mother fucker," I said out loud. This day is starting out amazing.

Between the utter laziness I felt when staring at the mess on my floor, I hear a faint noise from my monitor; a Skype call. Hearing that calming ringtone I perked up and jogged to the living room, where my monitor was still on from last night. "Hey Evan!" I greet my best friend.

"Yo delirious, you up for some WAW?" He asked.

"Why don't you just say 'world at war'?"

"Because it sounds cool!" He said excitedly.

I sigh, "Yeah sure."

During our quick conversation, Evan informed me that Tyler and Nogla would also be playing later tonight. We bid our goodbyes and exited skype.

I walked out my front door, shut it behind me and locked it. I put the keys in the pocket of my hoodie and started walking down the street towards the store. The one good thing about living where I do is that I don't need a car. I never liked driving so only having to walk about five minutes to buy everything I need was really nice.

As I walk, I take in my surroundings. I haven't been out in a while and I liked going for walks. The birds chirped a soft melody while sitting in the large trees which towered over as though they were skyscrapers.

It was almost summer and the weekend, so all of the neighborhood children were in swim suits running around, playing with water, and different types of outdoor activities. I tried not to make eye contact with anyone, just pulled the hood of my sweater over my head. Yes, it was almost summer but my hoodie made me feel safe in this dysfunctional world, even though I was hotter than hell.

I finally arrive to the store and as soon as I entered through the doors, everyone's eyes were on me. They probably thought I was going to rob the place. I put my hood down, trying to show that I was friendly enough that I wouldn't rob anyone. That didn't seem to help. The cashier's eyes never left me.

I went to the back fridge and grabbed a large carton of 2% milk. I looked over the carton for the expiration date and any tears in the carton. Finding the expiration date, I sighed and searched for a carton which didn't expire in 2012.

After a few minutes of searching, I couldn't find any milk cartons that hadn't expired so I marched up to the man behind the counter.

"Do y'all not have any milk that hasn't been expired?" I ask him, trying not to sound as angry as I actually was.