Chapter 9

Macy's P.O.V.

It was as if he changed completely. The mess I saw him as the night before had vanished. That sensitive, vulnerable side of him was locked away behind his anger. It shouldn't have hurt, but it did.

After last night, I really thought I could call him a friend. I told myself that I'd be there for him because he needed someone to support him. Being alone for all those years must have been truly devastating. Though, he's made that a lot harder.

After we got out of the woods, we were stopped by Jayden. Jonathan seemed to despise him, but I had believed that they were old friends.

Knowing that my grandparents would be coming home soon, I told Jayden I'd talk to him later today and went inside to take a shower. The smell of pine covered my body and as much as I loved it, it was evidence that I hadn't stayed inside the house.

After my very warm shower, I went to go eat something. I was searching through the fridge until the door opened and my grandparents walked in.

"How was it?" I asked, smiling.

"It was wonderful. It's great to feel young again. How was your night, Macy?" My grandma smiled.

"Boring," I lied. "What's that?"

My grandpa was holding a plastic bag in his hand waving it around.

He laughed. "This is for you. We know you don't have a lot of clothes and our friends have a granddaughter around your age who was happy to give these to you. Now, go look through them and find something nice to wear. We're going out for breakfast."

Hearing that made me jump with joy. I was absolutely starving. I took the plastic bag and hugged both of my grandparents before going upstairs to change.

The clothes were really nice. I didn't see how someone could give these away. I finally settled on dark skinny jeans, black combat boots, a white sweater, and a green parka. My hair was already dried so I brushed it and left it down, which completed the outfit.

Before we left, I knocked on Jonathan's window, hoping that he'd open it. I didn't want to leave on a sour note. No matter how much he seemed to infuriate me at times, I knew he wasn't a bad guy.

Nobody answered though, so I settled on grabbing a paper and some tape.

I'm sorry about arguing with you this morning. Have a good day
-Macy
P.S.You should smile more:)

I taped the note to his window and ran down the stairs to meet my grandparents.

"That outfit looks cute," my grandma cooed. "Now, come on. IHOP can get crowded in the mornings."

The three of us got in the car and my grandpa was about to back up until he saw Jayden across the street. He stuck his arm out the window and waved him over, so Jayden shyly walked over to the car.

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Kerjoff. Hey, Macy. How are you guys?" He asked respectively, a tiny bit uncomfortable as I watched his eyes flicker back and forth.

"We're doing great. Would your mom be okay if you went out to breakfast with us? Macy here needs some friends," my grandma told him.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I stared at my grandma wide eyed.

Jayden's boyish laugh filled my ears. "I'll go ask right now. I'll be right back."

He ran to his house, while I sat in the back seat in absolute terror.

"Grandma, why?" I asked dramatically, sliding my face down the window in pure embarrassment.