Chapter 31

Macy's P.O.V.

I rubbed small circles on the back of Jonathan's hand with my thumb. The days after the funeral had become increasingly more difficult to manage.

Laconic conversations were all that remained between Jonathan and I. There wasn't much to say, he reasoned. I sensed his irascible behavior from the first moments he had even begun to feel like this. Evan noticed as well and he was genial to reassure Jonathan that he could talk to him.

He didn't want to talk about anything.

"We'll get through this," I told him.

"You couldn't be more wrong."

I said nothing else as we sat in deafening silence on the porch, staring out into the street like we had done when I revealed the reasons I moved to North Carolina. It was different now. The last few days had taken its toll on Jonathan and I no longer felt the warmth he provided. It bothered me.

The gentle tracing of my thumb on his hand stopped and my hand then linked with his. I offered him a small, hopeful smile and for once in a few days, I think he felt guilty for acting so impertinently towards myself and Evan.

"Is there a reason you stay?" Jonathan suddenly asked, a concerning edge to his voice. "Is it because of the money?"

"Jonathan, what are you talking about? I'm still here because I care about you."

He snatched his hand away from mine. "Bullshit. No one would ever stay for someone like me without a good reason. It's probably because you finally found someone who has it worse than you."

My heart sank and tears immediately began to sting at my eyes as I stared at Jonathan incredulously. "Jonathan—"

"So that's it, isn't it? You're probably still here to feel better about yourself. Well, guess what Macy? I'd rather be stuck in the same situation I'm in now than knowing that my mom wanted to leave me."

It felt as if the world had crumbled. The safe haven and the warmth that Jonathan provided ever since I moved dissipated in seconds. His ocean blue eyes were glazed in anger and I knew that he was just hurt and confused but fuck, everything he said hurt me more than I ever realized I could withstand.

"Why do you always have to push me away?" I stood up and shouted. He said nothing else as I walked inside the house. I refused to let the tears fall from my eyes as I stormed upstairs into my bedroom.

With hurried actions, I quickly packed the little belongings I possessed. As I was folding a few of my clothes to fit into my luggage, my bedroom door creaked open behind me.

"Macy, what happened with Jonathan? He refuses to move from the porch," I heard Evan say.

He crouched next to me and a frown covered his face as he saw the few tears that had begun pooling around my eyes.

"Oh god, Macy. What happened?" Evan asked, hugging me.

"Jonathan just said some things that I'd rather not repeat. I'll be staying at the nearest motel for the night. Stay here and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid."

Evan shook his head as I let go and zipped up my luggage. Without reason, he stormed out of my bedroom and I followed him to the front door. I didn't want to see Jonathan, so I stayed inside he house and watched the the crack of the front door.

Evan walked up beside him. "What did you say to Macy?"

"None of your business," Jonathan muttered.

"It is my business, Jon. We get that you're grieving but you've been taking it out on Macy. Whatever you fucking said, it hurt her Jonathan. It hurt her to a point where she's leaving the one person she cares about most. I'd say go after her, but I don't believe in second chances."

There was silence and I waited for him to say something, anything that would defend his case and prove to me that he wasn't doing this all out of spite. It never came so I grabbed the rest of my luggage and headed out the back door. I had called an uber and waited at the other end of the street so Jonathan wouldn't see me. It had been five minutes when Evan came running up behind me with his own luggage in hand.

"No. You have to stay with Jonathan."

"Macy, the motels here are trash and you need protection a lot more than he does."

So he came along and our uber driver took us to the nearest motel that sat between a beat up alley and a run down pawn shop. I was slightly relieved knowing that Evan tagged along.

Evan paid the driver, no matter how many time I offered the money and how many time I lightly punched him in the arm (which had little to no effect on him). Then we entered the motel to greet a white haired lady with a crooked smile.

"One room, two beds," Evan told her.

She shook her head. "Only have one bed, honey."

There wasn't much of a choice since our Uber had already left, so Evan and I accepted. It wasn't awkward. We didn't talk that much since Evan arrived and now that we were alone together, we talked as if we had known each other for the longest time. We had even walked to the Panda Express down the street before heading back to the room for a quick movie.

"So sleeping arrangement?" Evan asked once the movie was over. "Not that I don't want to give you space, but the floor here is disgusting."

"Well, we might be hanging off the bed a bit, but we can sleep sideways so there's more room?"

Evan agreed we had even made a line between us using the extra pillows because he tended to kick while sleeping and he didn't want to push me off the bed.

We had taken turns to change in the rest room and we turned the entire blanket sideways once we were both ready for bed.

"Macy, you okay?" Evan whispered. The lights were off and the only sounds in the room came from Evan's restless movements and the hum of the vending machine outside the door.

"Yeah, why?"

"A lot of shit happened today and I know Jonathan is still mourning, but you don't deserve to be treated like that. I'm sorry if you wanted to be alone right now, but I just wanted to make sure you were safe."

For once, a genuine smile crossed my face without Jonathan and I didn't know how to feel about it.

----------------------

I'm literally at six flags right now in the line for X2 and it's freezing. I'm really sorry I haven't updated in these past two weeks like I said I would. I've been really busy because of the holidays and school starts tomorrow again. Vote and comment

And as always I hope ye enjoyed(:)

P.S. I haven't looked over this chapter at all since I just wanted to update so comment if I made any mistakes