Chapter 23

Macy's P.O.V.

The ride back to Jonathan's place was, for the most part, serene. I wasn't exactly sure how to interpret his gift for me. A diamond bracelet was over the top. He bought it out of appreciation for being there for him, but spending time around him was reward in itself.

I wanted to believe that this gift meant a lot more than what he intended it to be, but that was the hopeless romantic side of me. This was and would remain only as a 'thank you' for being his friend and just his friend.

"You don't have to say anything about the gift, Macy. I just wanted you to have a constant reminder that I'm always available whenever you need someone like you have been for me ever since I met you."

"Jonathan–"

"If you're going to say some crap like 'it's too expensive', don't. If it isn't obvious by now, I'd do a lot for you, honestly. So let's drop the subject and talk about that call earlier."

There was silence as he waited expectantly for me to answer and when I didn't, he pulled over.

"Did something happen?"

"It's nothing, Jonathan. I wasn't sure how to phrase it, but my grandparents said they're going to visit Oregon for the next three or four days. I was going to ask if I could stay over," I partially lied.

Jonathan nodded. "Of course, Macy. You don't even have to ask. I'd rather prefer if you just stayed there all the time."

He caught himself and made a face. "I mean–"

Jonathan's cheeks flushed a light shade of pink as he averted his eyes to the window.

"Jonathan West," I smiled, "are you asking me to move in with you?"

"No. Well, actually, you already spend a lot of your time there and I'm planning to clean out one of the old bedrooms. It's just a suggestion, really," he said quietly.

"I'd love that."

A smile lit up his face as soon as the words left my mouth.

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

After that was settled, Jonathan continued driving until we got to his house. Knowing that I'd be living here soon, I was ecstatic about changing the interior.

"The bedroom I was going to clean is already furnished. I kept it locked before since nobody ever used it, but you can go check it out right now if you want. It's right across from mine."

"I knew you couldn't resist me," I joked, my heart beating faster at the thought of having a room right across from his.

"Just get upstairs, kid. Here's the key."

I practically raced up the stairs to the bedroom. My hands fumbled with the key for a bit since I was in a excited rush. My heart leaped once I heard the lock click and pushed the door open.

The layout of the bedroom wasn't what I had expected. It was towards the back of the house and apparently I never noticed that there was a circular room. It was large and simply furnished with the majority of the furniture being white.

"Do you like it?" Jonathan asked, poking his head inside the room. "It still needs a lot of cleaning up to do, but its pretty spacey."

"It's perfect. Thank you so much. I know it's not that late, but today's been a bit draining. How about we hold off decorating for a few days, plan stuff out for your mother, and settle everything?"

Jonathan walked in and nodded, letting out a soft sigh. "I'm really glad you're here."

"You're cute when you're sappy. Now why don't we spend the rest of the day eating tamales and watching reruns of the Big Bang Theory?"