The Pickle Jar

Calum was staring at me like I had completely lost my mind and I was staring at him like a completely pissed off girlfriend. I had just informed Calum that I would not be going out to lunch with him on this beautiful Friday afternoon and was, instead going to go out to lunch with Drew (which I had told him about just two days earlier) to which he was now replying angrily with, "Are you out of your mind!" And since I didn't take too kindly to this statement, I yelled back at him.

"What do you mean out of my mind! He's a friend Calum I don't know how many ways I have to say it! We literally talked about me meeting up with him two days ago!" The fighting continued until Jake got annoyed, stormed out of his room and dragged Calum further into the apartment. I only heard bits and pieces of their conversation as I paced the living room angrily but a lot of it didn't make sense.

"Apologize!" Jake had shouted at one point.

"I can't use the same sequence you used with Ella!" Calum had shouted a minute or so after followed by,

"Yeah you better fucking not!" from Jake. Eventually, the two of them came back into the living room where I stood by the front door, ready to leave. Calum scowled the whole time and refused to really look at me. It was Jake who spoke for him.

"Calum says he's fine with letting you go." I frowned at my brother before glaring at Calum.

"Why doesn't Calum tell me himself then? And I'm not asking for permission Calum. I'm not your property. I can go out with my friends without your approval."'

"He's an ex-boyfriend Lily."

"That was almost eight years ago!" I shouted. "I've been with you way longer than I've even known him! Grow up!" I turned around at that before I wrenched open the door, rushing out of the apartment. Jake and Calum both called my name but I kept going. As I took the stairs, I heard someone chase after me down the steps.

"Lily wait!"

"What?" I demanded, whirling around to look at my idiot boyfriend. He quickly pulled me into a hug, which was a surprise and I lightly hugged him back before he pulled away for a second to kiss me.

"I'm sorry."

"But?" I questioned, still angry. Calum made a face.

"But I still don't like this." I shook my head at him.

"Well get used to the idea. Now, I have to go okay. I'm already late." Calum nodded and squeezed my hand lightly before letting me go. I was glad we sort of settled the fight but I knew it was still going to be a topic of discussion when I got home.

----

"I am so sorry I'm late!" I apologized as I rushed up to Andrew. He smiled at me, running a hand through his hair before shrugging.

"No, not a problem. I told you you should have let me pick you up." I sighed.

"I didn't want to trouble you." I said with a small smile. In reality, I didn't want Calum to throw a fit and then try to fight Drew because, in all honesty, I was pretty sure Drew would win.

"Alright well lets get some lunch." Andrew said, gesturing to the food court.

"Yeah, I'm starving." I said, my stomach rumbling for emphasis. Andrew laughed as we began to talk and try to figure out what each of us wanted. He ended up getting Chinese food and I got a sandwich from the Italian sub place. We talked about college mainly and what are lives were like now but every now and then, he would bring up an old, awkward memory from our high school years.