Disobedience and Meeting Marco

just so you know: starco meets in this chapter but no real "romance" just some cute embarrassing stuff at the end. skip to this chapter for the real romance (Getting Even and Getting Dates)

STAR'S POV

It was late by the time I reached my apartment complex, and when I finally did, out of breath from running and exhausted from laughing, the neighbor's Labrador began barking. Smiling and rolling my eyes simultaneously at the dog's overprotectiveness and yelling events from today excitedly. Then, remembering that her father had assigned a curfew, I rushed to open the gate and go inside. When I walked in, my father was painting an army figurine from back when all of Mewni had been divided and engaged in a brutal civil war. My mother was reading a newspaper. I blushed when my father looked up and headed for my mother to give her a hug and a kiss.

I sat down all of my stuff and turned my back to my father, starting up a conversation with mother about the day. "School was weird. But I made a new friend" I said, actually becoming happy again. I was so glad I had met Kelly. She's awesome. Better than any friend I've ever had. Then I look at my dad and start hiccuping. I'm nervous again. "Can I talk to you about something?" I stuttered on my words. Just as my father was about to answer, my little brother, Johnny, came in wearing a miniature knight uniform and speaking commands as if I were the queen. I would've played along, but I was seriously stressed. Thankfully, mother took him back to his room. It was his bedtime, after all.

"L-listen. I was w-wondering about something" I murmured, starting to shift my feet. "Yes?" he looked up briefly before resuming painting. "Well, see, there's this contest that I really want to enter" I spoke up a little louder, so that he could hear me clearly. "Well a little competition! That's good for ya. Good for the soul!" father replied. I sighed in relief. Father was a king. He loved competition! Even if that wasn't the real reason I was doing it...mostly because I just loved to dance. But still!

"See what I do is I go downtown on Friday and I get to dance. And then if they like me then I rehearse every night. And then if I win, I'm gonna be on tv alright" I uttered all the words at a rapid pace, hoping father wouldn't really notice. But he did. In fact, that whole time his eyes had been stuck on me. "Negative" father spat. I bit my lip, becoming frustrated.

"A, I don't want you walking around in Chicago. Chicago is a touch city. I've got to install an alarm system in this house! And B, you're too young to go out at night, except for the occasional, supervised school activity" father exclaimed. He was so confident; like he had already made up how mind. "When you're 18, you're entitled to night life. Now, we gotta deal, remember?" father pointed out, referencing a stupid deal I had made with my father at a young age.

"I made a deal when I was 7 and a half!" I cried out, completely annoyed. "Don't sass me!" my father spat once again, treating me like I was one of his servants back in Mewni. "Yes, sir" I nodded, semi-scared. "I'm doing this for your own good" father held his hands out in a: whaddya want me to do pose. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, you forgot to say you'll thank me for this later" I edged in the last word.
>>>>>
•btw star, marco, kelly, etc., are all 16 in this book•
>>>>>
It was Friday. I was upset I couldn't go, but I was excited for Kelly. We discussed a stupid detention Kelly had been giving for accidentally accusing the history teacher of not properly teaching his lessons.

"Star, you can't wear that to the audition" Kelly pointed to my Catholic school uniform. I blushed. I hadn't yet told Kelly about dad's disapproval. "I know" I tried to smile reassuringly. "Are you backing out?" Kelly frowned. "No. It's just, my dad said I can't go and mom said we have to sacrifice a few battles so we can win the war, whatever that means" I began to ramble. "Well that means you're going anyway!" Kelly interjected. "KELLY! I can't, they won't let me go" I was practically whining now. "Do you do everything you're told?" Kelly inquired, also frustrated now. I looked away, attempting to avoid further conversation about the topic, because I knew it was true. "Oh God, you do" Kelly got the hint.