Smoke

"Jungkook, why don't you sit with me at lunch?" A boy named Taehyung asks as everyone heads to the cafeteria.

"I... Don't feel like it today. I will tomorrow. I promise," he forces a smile and walks off, turning his back on the boy his age.

He opens a door and heads out into the school yards, where he takes a seat under a tall tree. He looks around before pulling out the small carton given to him earlier that day. He pulls out the lighter, as well. Jungkook slowly flips on the flame and places a cigarette between his teeth.

Breath in.

Breath out.

He's seen his mom do this dozens of times.

He leans back against the tree.

He takes a deep breath.

He hears someone shout his name.

His eyes snap open.

"Jeon Jungkook! What on earth do you think you're doing?!" A loud, scolding voice shouts from across the school yard. Fear rises inside of him as he tries his best to stuff away the carton and lighter. Too late.

"I-I... uh... nothing," Jungkook squeaks as the tall lady looms over him.

"Come with me. Now," she growls as she turns on her heels and heads towards the school building. Jungkook sighs as he gets up, knowing that he will be visiting the principle.

-

The office is dark and old, mostly made up of wood. The talking of students can be heard beyond the tall door that leads out to a hallway. The only light in the somewhat small room is coming through the openings between the blinds on the windows. Jungkook folds his hands as he waits for the principle to enter the room.

Just then, the tall door creaks open, revealing a short lady wearing a casual dress.

Jungkook doesn't look up as she takes a seat across from him.

"Jungkook, I heard you were caught smoking outside," she says, her voice cold, leaving goosebumps on his arms.

He nods his head.

"And you were also outside when you weren't supposed to be?" She asks. He nods again. She sighs.

"Well, I'm going to have to-"

"-call my parents? Yeah, I know," he snaps. The principle scowls at him.

"Less of your cheek, boy," she sneers. "Now, you know that what you did is wrong, correct?"

Jungkook nods his head slowly.

"Good. I'm going to give you an assignment. You must write three full pages on why smoking is bad for you," she says, eyes narrowed at him. Jungkook sighs, knowing that this assignment will take up most of his weekend.

"Okay," he huffs, finally looking up to meet her eyes.

"Excellent. It's due Monday. Now, go back to lunch. And this time, go to the cafeteria! You know we're not aloud to eat outside. I'll call your parents. You're dismissed," she says, waving him off with her hand.

      Jungkook scoots the chair back and gets up, leaving the melancholy environment. He's about to turn the corner when the principles cold voice hisses after him.

"Wait!"

He turns around to see her approaching him.

"Yes?"

"I'm going to need that carton of yours," she orders, holding out her hand, waiting for him to give it to her. He sighs and digs it out of his pocket, smacking it down on her palm. He then turns on his heels, rolling his eyes.

"Fucking bitch," he grumbles, shoving his hands into his hoodie pockets as he storms off into the opposite direction.