World Of Magic

"Why'd you save me?"

"Like I said before, I knew that you needed help. I knew you wanted to escape that place," Jimin smiles.

"How'd you know?" Jungkook asks, curious.

"I know how you feel 24/7. I know when you're happy, when you're sad, when you're angry, I know your feelings. When you're happy, I don't bother you. When you're sad, or need help, I come save you. It's the least I can do," Jimin grins.

"Okay, then... Wow, you really are a magician," Jungkook gives a small laugh.

"I'm just here to make you okay," Jimin ruffles his hair, leaving it a mess.

"So... you don't have anything new to give me?" Jungkook asks.

"No, not right now. I'm sure I'll get something new soon, though. Don't worry."

They sit under a street lamp, which illuminates the sidewalks in the darkness. The sound of crickets can be heard over their breathing. Jungkook thinks for a moment before speaking.

"Why do you bring me things like cigarettes and alcohol? Don't you want to save me?" He asks, and Jimin looks over at him.

"I... I don't know why. It's kind of just what I do. But it helps, doesn't it?" Jimin asks, concern flooding his voice.

"Yeah... It distracts me. Makes me forget. I guess it's not that bad," Jungkook shrugs.

"I only try to help you. I examine your situation, and figure out different ways I can help. Different ways I can make your life easier. Ways I can make you happy, or at least content."

"Is it a tough job?"

"Well... No. Not yet, at least. I've talked to other people who've done it, and they say it's extremely hard and stressful. But I think they're just exaggerating."

"Wait, there's other people who do this?" Jungkook asks, his dough-eyes staring up at the red head.

"Of course! Would you like me to explain it for you?" Jimin asks. Jungkook nods, and Jimin prepares as if he's about to retell an age-old story.

"Well, lets just call ourselves magicians. Though, my occupation doesn't have a specific title. Us 'magicians' usually come into people's lives when they're at their lowest point. We help them. Give them solutions. Make them happy. When they're happy, it makes us happy. When they're sad, it makes us sad. And our end goal is for people to be happy. And sometimes, happiness comes in the most unexpected ways," Jimin explains. Jungkook listens closely, taking in every word.

"Each magician is assigned one person. And one person only. So, I'm technically with you for the rest of your life. For your entire life, I have to make sure you're happy. If we fail, we usually just wander around in shame. Doesn't really matter. If we succeed, we get to move onto a new person. Sounds fun, right?"

Jungkook nods, thousand of questions forming in his mind.

"So... How do you become a magician?" He asks.

"Magicians are people who were once alive, and made it through their own life successfully. I made it successfully, I believe you can, too," he smiles.

"... And you're assigned to me? And only me?"

"Yup. No one else can see me except you. I'm like that little voice in the back of your mind telling you to do stuff."

"So you're like a ghost?"

"Uh... I guess."

"And there are other 'magicians' that you talk to?"

"Well, yes. But not very many. You see, most 'magicians' fail their job. It's quite common, actually. Most of them end up dead. It's always a disappointment seeing one fail. It kind of makes you lose hope," Jimin sighs.

"But you made it through life successfully?"

"There were a few ups and downs, of course. But my 'magician' helped me through it."

"Woah, you had a magician?!"

"Of course! Oh... What was his name? Hoseok? He was the happiest person I had ever met. So it was no surprise that I went through life happily with him," Jimin says, and it sounds as though he's daydreaming.

"Oh, but do you want to know something about Hoseok?" Jimin's expression becomes serious.

"Uh... Sure."

"Well, he's a lucky one. He got a second chance. Before he was my magician, he belonged to someone else. It was this kid named Yoongi. And long story short, Hoseok failed. The Yoongi dude ended up killing himself, so Hoseok obviously didn't succeed. But, he was offered a second chance, and got assigned to take care of me."

Jungkook's jaw drops to the ground.

"Why did he get a second chance?"

"Mmh, I'm not really sure. Probably convinced our boss to give him one more opportunity or something."

"Your boss?"

"Yeah. With every job, there's a boss. My boss's name is Seokjin. He's quite a diva. Pretty annoying at times, but you get used to him. Such a mom-friend," Jimin frowns.

"What does it mean to be successful?" Jungkook randomly asks. Jimin raises his eyebrows, caught off guard by the sudden question.

"Well... What's your end goal in life?"

"... To find happiness, I think."

"Well then, your success is to achieve happiness. So if you find happiness, you're successful," Jimin smiles. Jungkook thinks about it, doubting that he'll ever find such an expensive, rare emotion.

"Sounds like an exciting job," Jungkook finally says. Jimin just nods.

"I've gotta get going. See you soon!" He says cheerfully as he stands up.

"Okay. Uh... Jimin?"

"Yes?"

"I want to become a magician, please don't fail me."

"I won't, I promise."

And with that, the red head jumps into his van and drives off.