Friends

"Do you still believe in magic?"

Jungkook looks up at Jimin. The two of them are sitting on the curb, silence floating around them. Jungkook furrows his eyebrows, not sure how to answer.

"Why do you ask?"

"I mean... I'm just curious. If you don't believe in magic, then you don't believe in me," Jimin says.

"I guess I do.... I'm not really sure. I used to, but right now, I'm just... Not sure."

"You're growing up, that's what," Jimin sighs.

"I know I am. There's nothing I can do about it."

"Do you still want to be a magician?"

And in this moment, that seems like the silliest question Jungkook has ever heard. A grown man asking another grown man if he wants to be a magician. Jungkook chuckles a bit.

"Of course I do. I want to give someone hope," he says, and Jimin looks a little surprised.

"Wow, I... Wasn't expecting you to say that," He says, avoiding eye contact.

"I won't let you down, I promise," Jimin continues with a weak smile.

"I know you won't," Jungkook smiles back. And he hasn't smiled in such a long time.

"You know, you're one of my best friends," Jungkook says, and Jimin's eyes instantly light up.

"Really?! Me?!" He asks, his Busan accent showing.

"Yeah. Though, I think you're my only friend. I killed my last one." Jimin's smile doesn't even falter. He doesn't seem to mind that Jungkook is a murderer. He just wants a friend.

For a moment, it seems as though everything is okay.

As if there are no problems or worries or struggles.

As if there's actually hope.

But there are darker days to come.

And deep down, everyone knows that.

But they continue to live, anyway.