In the Hope That We Hit the Ground Upright

Jump Into the Fog

Chapter 8

"We feel nothing so jump into the fog, in the hope that we hit the ground upright."

-

Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue.

Old and borrowed was her mother's veil, back when she married her father. Just touching the light but extensive material made Elsa feel safe, protected behind it, though Hans would have to pull it over her head and crown for the traditional wedding kiss, and for every moment after that. The veil traveled down her back and ended right at her waist, and never had Elsa felt so elegant and glamorous, even after experiencing what it was like to wear ice.

That's where the something new and something blue came in. Gerda didn't hesitate to show off Elsa's skin through a mid-thigh slit on her left leg, slightly imitating her beautiful Snow Queen gown, with white silk and the lightest blue, sparkling tulle enhancing it as the train trailed for what seemed like miles behind her. The white, sleeveless bodice emphasized Elsa's every curve (with some padding, of course—but this time, Elsa didn't mind), and intricate blue embroidery decorated the front, while a long, translucent white-blue cape attached to the back, floating right above the train when she walked. It reminded Elsa of a mix between her ice gown and the dress Anna wore on her coronation. It showed off way too much skin and way too much cleavage.

But Elsa finally felt both beautiful and sexy.

Her platinum hair pinned back into a tight, elaborate chignon, and darker makeup enhancing her face, Elsa slipped into a new pair of glass slippers and finished off her look with white gloves, stitched together with blue thread. She couldn't risk her nervousness getting the better of her, much as it pained her not to wear the platinum band and diamond against her skin. But necessary measures had to be taken.

Now, as Gerda admired her handiwork, she really did start to cry, and Elsa rushed to the old maid, embracing her as she fought her own tears. Gerda sniffed, and Elsa felt completely proud to be wearing such a gorgeous dress.

"I'm sorry, My Lady, but you just look so, so, beautiful…!" she sobbed, and Elsa just shook her head.

"No, no, don't worry about it," Elsa assured as Gerda pulled away with a handkerchief to her eyes. "You did such a wonderful job, Gerda; I've never felt so amazing in a dress before…"

Nodding, Gerda backed up humbly, not wanting to ruin Elsa's beautiful dress.

This time Hans wouldn't escort her, as it was bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding. Her handmaidens just gathered her exceptionally long train as Elsa trekked toward the church.

She wouldn't have slept a wink last night if she didn't know it'd give her bags under her eyes. Elsa felt every single emotion run through her: apprehension, ecstasy, shock, anxiety, fear, elation. But she eventually fell asleep, once the thought went through her mind that this was her last night in her old room.

It pained Elsa to know that her parents' room was being remodeled for her and Hans, and she'd protested the idea at first. But it was tradition. Her parents had moved in after her grandparents, and they'd moved in after the generation before them. So now it was Elsa's turn to completely immerse herself as Queen, as monarch. It was her turn to really take the reins, to follow tradition, to make her parents proud.

She was ready.

Gerda handed Elsa a bouquet of forget-me-nots, irises, and white lilies, and Elsa gratefully accepted it, giving the old maid a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for everything," she whispered, smiling.