Chapter 2

After a slightly sick flight to Toronto, I snuggle down into my bed. I roll over to my side to face Lilly.

"The city's beautiful," I say.

She smiles. "I know. And you'll love it. As much as I do!"

From the airport to our hotel I followed my basic routine of travel - listening to music and watching the landscape change from darkness to city lights and capture it within the lyrics. That way, when I play back the music, I relive it all the time. A great way to store my memories and relive them.

"Shawn's back home now I think for a couple of weeks," I say, but inside my heart is pounding, waiting for me to scream it out loud for the whole world to hear.
"Do you think we'll catch him? Do you think he'll be casually driving past us, or will he be in a disguise?"

Either way, to meet him in person would be the end of my life, to share the same space as him makes my heart beat faster. Lilly shrugs her shoulders. I don't know if she even heard because she's on her phone, texting away to her boyfriend, Matt. They've been together for 2 years now and met in an end-of-year masquerade ball, which I find very cute. Her boyfriend is one of those typical "jocks" as Americans call it and plays for our uni, but luckily for Lils, he's not a complete idiot. If he was a player and I found out before Lilly, I'd punch him straight in the face. I might look slender and weak, but my black belt in Taekwondo has taught me a lot.

She finally replies. "Mmmmmm..." Typical. She didn't hear a thing.

It's the first proper day and I'm buzzing to reach Pickering. We packed our day bags with a few nights' worth of clothes for the hotel in Pickering and left the rest at Lilly's house, even though I'm returning back to the hotel in a few days. We're about 20 minutes away and clouds have started to gather but that doesn't put off my happiness in any way. Lilly asks the driver to drop us off at our hotel in Pickering so we can empty our bags. We step into the room, dump our clothes on the beds and walk straight out to go to our first stop - the park where Shawn's house is supposedly nearby. I'm not a freak or stalker, and I respect Shawn's privacy a lot, especially for his family, but I can't help but want to visit his home.

A girl at Vancouver shares the same surname as Shawn and boasts how she's Shawn's distant relative. I asked her for his address well in advance, and she gave it to me quite happily, considering I don't know her very well and besides, shouldn't she keep it to herself? She laughed actually when I asked for it.

"Call yourself a fan?"

I remember blushing a little when other girls were around in the library and ran away quickly, hoping not to see her again. I am a huge fan, but a sensible one. Not the one who names people's body parts, who spam him with messages and stalk address and prey on him... but I guess I'm kind of breaking the last rule, but it can't be helped. This is the one thing I want in my life to be complete.

The park is gigantic. It stretches out in a circle and you can see athletic people running around the trees. It's 9:18 in the morning but my stomach growls and I try not to think of the muffins in my bag. Shawn likes muffins, so I bought blueberry ones from a bakery by our hotel before we left. I don't know what I was thinking, because I know I'm not going to see Shawn or knock on his house to hand them over, but the comfort of being this close makes me warm all over.

"I hope you won't die on me Jess. This is Pickering, not a religious destination."

I shake my head and follow behind Lilly, where she seems to have found a row of large detached houses facing the park.

"I think it's one of those houses," she says.

I run my eyes over at how astonishingly big they are. They're double, maybe even triple the size of my house back in the UK. An image of my parents and in my mind. Oh how they'd love to live in one of these houses. We follow a footpath that leads onto a wide pavement, running past each of the houses. Lilly stops and turns to me.

"Right. I'm leaving you here. I'll give you half an hour to admire his house and whatever. I'll stay in that café just round the corner. If you take more than half an hour, message me and I'll wait for you. If not I'll think you broke in to Shawn's house and will call the cops."

I smile. I hug her tight and watch her walk into the cafe, where a couple of guys working there turn to watch her enter.

"Typical." I say out loud. At this point, a tall figure runs past me and stops after I speak and looks back.

"What?" He grunts.

I blush and force myself to answer. "N-nothing. Just talking to myself."

Oh god, how stupid do I sound? I catch a glimpse of the guy and he's fully clothed and running. He's got a pair of sunglasses on, which seems to sit underneath his blond hair around his ears. It even looked like it was sloping at the back. He runs straight ahead and down the left, the way I should be going, so I quickly speed up after him. Just as I catch up, the door of number 8 slams shut.