Chapter 5

So I'm sat on a pink bar stool waiting for the coffee Shawn insisted I have. He's taken off the thick jogging bottoms and changed into grey shorts. Even his calves are so good looking. I try not to stare at him so I focus on the little features around the rooms, such as the odd picture and quote stuck to the fridge with magnetic alphabets. Shawn brings my caffe latte and it looks like the ones you get in Starbucks or Costa, with the cream and sprinkles. He's settled for a cappucino in a pristine, white cup and, of course, brings the muffins over. I don't know if I should actually have the muffin, especially since I had one earlier. I don't want him thinking I'm a pig. 

"I think I'm alright without the muffin. I had one earlier outside so-"

"No. Have one. I insist," He smiles and pushes himself up onto the counter and takes a muffin out. A giant bite and he's already had a third of the cake. I stare in amazement, but Shawn must have seen it because he laughs, gulping down the bite. 

"What? I'm a growing boy who needs to be fed a lot."

"I can see that," I mutter. "You know what, you can have mine too," I say, sipping my latte in silence. 

He just shrugs, finishing off the remains of his muffin. I'm glad he liked it. He finds a peg to hold the paper bag in place and grabs a pen and paper to write a note.

"It's for Aaliyah," he says. 

My heart melts. Shawn's love and relationship with his sister is one of the best things I love about him, and how he always supports his family and friends so much. I stare at him. He watches me back in silence. God, why do I always have to be weak and look away? This time though, I hold his gaze.

"So how come I'm inside your home? You don't always do this to a fan each time you're home right?" I ask jokingly.

Shawn runs his hand through his hair and he gently swings his legs back and forth as they dangle above the ground. 

"I'm asking myself the same question actually," he says quietly. He looks at the floor. "Every time I'm home it's hard for me to go out by myself. So I went for a run around the park in disguise and it felt good to be out. And that's when I bumped into you. First off, you didn't look Canadian, so I assumed you were a tourist. But you sat outside my house and started eating those damn muffins with your pinky sticking out, like a British person would. And then you came over and gave them to me, before of course you tackled me-"

"Let's just forget about... please," this time I interrupt, because it's truly embarrassing for me. Shawn just laughs and shakes his head. 

"Let's start over. Hi, I'm Shawn in real person. And you are...?" 

"My name's Jessica, but call me Jess," I say.

He stretches his right arm out towards me, prompting me to do the same to shake hands. Breathe, I think to myself. I slip my hand into his, but before I can close my hand around his, he takes it back quickly and runs it through his hair instead. Dammit. I roll my eyes and shake my head at what just happened. 

"Gotcha!" He bursts into laughter. "I'm just fooling around with you. Come here."

He opens his arms wide and embraces me with a hug I see him do so many times to his fans. Except this time, I stay in his arms, he doesn't let go either, so I hold on as long as I can, but I feel myself becoming awkward as my arms stay stiff around his back. I clear my throat and try to free myself. 

"I-I'm sorry about that, I didn't think we'd-"

"What? No. Don't be. You're a good hugger actually," he says whilst smirking.