Chapter 23

I crunch into my taco and look up through the trees, listening to the distant sound of the falls. We're sat on a bench in Queen Victoria Park, and Shawn willingly offered tacos for lunch. Thanks Shawn.

"So does the river ever freeze in winter?"

"No, not really. I mean, it might when it gets cold, but I think they keep it flowing."

I watch tourists up ahead, taking many selfies and videos of the falls down below. The sun has been out all morning and it bathes my back, keeping me warm.

Shawn chucks his rubbish in the bin with one swift movement. "They have light shows at night sometimes, it's pretty cool. I wanted to get married here, and then having a huge boat party."

I look at him. "Is that a Canadian thing or something you wanna do?"

He shrugs and laughs. "Something I've wanted to do when I was twelve and madly in love with this girl in sixth grade."

I secretly smile to myself as I think what a 12-year-old Shawn would've looked like. "Oh, you don't want that anymore?"

He shakes his head. "I've grown up since then. Hey, we can go on a night tour of the falls to see the light shows if you want? Grab a few drinks-"

"Two things Shawn: one, I don't drink. Two, don't we have to be 19 to drink in Canada?"

He picks a leaf out of my hair and drops it to the ground. "That's where being famous comes in."

We retrieve our night-tour tickets and climb on board. There's multi-coloured lights hung all over the ceiling, and it looks just like any club in the city. It's 10pm and the music is blaring out of speakers. I inspect the other people on board underneath the disco lights, and they're mostly older than us. I spot a few people who could be a year or two older than us, so I pick some seats near them. I perch on a bar stool and feel rather conscious, wishing I had changed into something a bit more... club-like?

"Shawn? Why didn't we just hit the clubs at Toronto? I feel like I'm not wearing the best of clothes..." My voice trails off as I look down at my jeans and hoodie.

"Hey, you look beautiful to me. And this is not what clubs are like. This is just a little fun entertainment for tourists. We can go out properly tomorrow night if you want, but I thought you weren't the type for drinking."

I blush as one of the guys across from us looks at me, so I lower my gaze and nudge Shawn's shoe. "Hey, I can handle a few drinks if I wanted to." I lean forward and whisper in his ear. "But between you and me, I'll get a coke for now."

I pull away from Shawn and he's smirking. "I'll join you on that. But tomorrow we're going out, and it'll be one night to remember - or not actually."

We take our glasses of coke decorated with lemon slices and walk to the front of the boat. I ditched the waterproof ponchos tonight as I didn't want to look stupid wearing them, but I wished I got one now to protect myself against the cold mist. The air chills my bones and holding the glass of coke doesn't make it any better.

"You're cold, aren't you?" Shawn asks.

I shake my head, but I end up chattering my teeth, making my breath fog up infront of me. Shawn laughs and brings me close to him. I slither my free arm underneath his jacket and embrace the warmth he always seems to have.

"Look, up ahead. That's the falls. All lit up."

I follow where his hand points and see the water, lit up in bright, pastel shades. The water still roars downstream, however the darkness makes it look icy and magical. I take several pictures and get Shawn to take some of me before we head back inside for the tour back.

I slide my shoes off and jump onto my bed, when I remember I'm sharing with Shawn as the bed bounces as he sits. I sigh.

I take my phone out and message Lilly straight away.

To Lilly:
Hey Lils! Im sorry I couldnt text all day. I hope you feel better! Not sure if youre still up. Will catch you tomorrow yeah? For the city tour? X

"I hope Lilly feels better tomorrow sp we can all go out. And then it's back to uni on Saturday for us." I yawn and rub my eyes, kinda sad that this amazing week is ending. I don't want to go back to Vancouver.

"Let's hope she will be better, and we can all party hard later."

I raise an eyebrow. "Even when we're underage? I don't want to get caught doing anything bad Shawn."

"Nothing will happen, we'll go to a club, get some VIPs or something and I'll teach you how to drink."

"Never in a million years, but I'll take the offer." I gather my things together. "Shit! It's already 1:16! Lilly's gonna be mad if we don't wake up in time..."

Shawn stretches out on the bed and smirks. "Maybe you can wake me up again if you jump on me."

"Shawn!" I yell, slightly embarassed.

I head off to the bathroom and change. I clean my teeth and face and take all my things back to my suitcase. I climb into bed as Shawn goes to clean his teeth and change his clothes. I scroll through my Insta feed and notice Shawn has added several pictures on his story.

I hear footsteps and turn over to the other side. "You love your views don't you?"

"I do," he says behind me. "I love my personal views, my scenic views, and views of you, or views with you in-"

"Okay, I get it Shawn," I mumble.

"Jess, I'm only joking."

I turn to face him. "Oh, so you were joking about it all?"

His face looks confused. "Wait no, that's not what I meant-"

I laugh and punch him on the arm. "Just kidding! But thanks."

"For what?"

"But you said..." I roll my eyes as he grins. "Turn the lights down. Night Shawn."

"Aw come on."

"No Shawn, we need to get up early."

He yawns and lays his head on the pillow. I sigh and walk over to the light switch to turn them down a little. I return to bed and he's already snoring away.