Chapter 52

"YOU SAID IT WOULD BE HARRY POTTER SHAWN!" I don't even attempt to hide my... my what? Anger, terror, fear, and so on.

He seems to be enjoying it. I need him to understand.

"Please Shawn, please. Anything but horror. I don't like them. Remember last time near Halloween? Please." I try my best to plead but it's no use. I get off the bed to go find Cam but Shawn catches my hand.

"Jess, they're only movies. I'll be right next to you so-"

I release his grip on me. "No Shawn," I whisper. I feel like I'm close to breaking down. "To you they might just be movies, but those haunting images, they etch into my mind and they appear at night. That's why I'm afraid of the dark, the unknown."

I wait for him to laugh at me or judge me for being so childish but he only pulls me onto his lap. "How come you've never said before? You should've told me and we would've kept the lights on whilst sleeping."

"It's because you were with me, and I felt safe by your side," I reply.

Shawn rests his head on my back and holds me tight. "You should've said something Jess."

"It's 'cause I didn't want you to think I was pathetic. So I kept it quiet."

"Do you still wanna watch The Conjuring 2? If not we can watch-"

"Maybe watching it will help me with my fear? I'll just shut my eyes and cover my ears if there's anything extreme."

"Are you sure? We can just watch Harry Potter-"

"I'm sure."

I get off Shawn so he can set the film up and I crawl onto the bed, hugging one of the pillows to my chest. The lights are turned off and the film begins. I already feel sick.

"Maybe this is a bad idea Shawn," I mumble in the darkness.

He puts his arm around me. "Shhhh. It'll be okay. I'm right here, alright?"

I munch on popcorn one by one, incase of jump scares that will make me choke. The ominous silence and whispering continues slowly as the tension builds. I shift in my spot and cover my face with the pillow.

"Shawn," I whisper. There's no reply. "Shawn... Shawn?"

I feel the side on my left and its empty. The movie is still playing and the music starts to change with the added laughter and disturbing noises.

"Shawn?" I whisper again. I start to panic as I try to find Shawn and the remote in the dimmed room, but I can't see properly. I use the torch on my phone and search around the room. Shawn's nowhere to be seen. Out of nowhere, he jumps from the bedside floor and startles me, making me lose balance and drop my phone. I land on top of Shawn but I push myself off him.

"Shawn! You scared the shit out of me!" I feel my way around the floor and bed, looking for my phone. The torch had turned off, so I'm praying it hasn't broke.

"I'm sorry boo, I was only joking around-"

"Well it went too far. I've dropped my phone, it's dark and I won't be able to sleep... good one Shawn, can't wait till I leave on Sunday-"

Shawn pins me against his bed and looks into my eyes. "Don't say that. You came all the way from Vancouver, I'm sorry I didn't make tonight special enough. It was supposed to be just you and me, but Cam decided to stay. And I wanted us to cuddle together and watch Harry Potter, but then I thought a horror film would be better-"

"At what?" I cut in. "Scaring me so much I don't sleep again?"

He sighs. "I wanted to be the guy who protects his girl- uh, his best friend from all the scary parts, make her feel safe, play with her hair..."

My heart melts at the thought of him even thinking about it like that. I take his face between my hands and smile as I feel his cheeks warming up. "That's so sweet Shawn, but it's best if we leave it for now. How about we get some rest?"

I'm absolutely knackered, but of course I won't sleep tonight from the film. I pack my things away and lie in bed, browsing through Instagram. My followers number is increasing scarily each day, and makes me think of getting a new, private account. I notice that Camila Cabello's unexpectedly started following me too, amongst all the fan accounts. There's a message waiting for me from her, congratulating me on finding Shawn. That's strange, I think to myself.