Chapter 41

I finish showering in Shawn's en-suite bathroom and change into a fresh set of clothes. I wait for Shawn to finish and then we head downstairs together. Shawn's mum is cooking pancakes for everyone and Aaliyah sits by the marble counter, finishing off her breakfast. I take a seat beside Aaliyah and Shawn joins my side.

"Morning Jess, Shawn," Karen says as she presents two plates of pancakes infront of us.

I smile up at her. "Good morning Mrs Mendes, thank you! These look great!"

"Please, just call me Karen. Did you sleep well last night? It wasn't too cold in the spare rooom was it?"

My face burns from embarrassment as I try to think of an answer. I clear my throat. "Um, actually..."

"She slept with me Mom, if that's okay? It got late and she hadn't really set anything up."

I keep my eyes down and avoid looking at anyone.

"Yeah, sure that's fine honey. Just make sure you're both careful okay? And you Shawn, don't do anything."

I hear a groan beside me. "Mom, not infront of Jess."

I look at Shawn, his face is bright red and he gives me a sheepish smile. Aaliyah on the other hand is giggling and trying hard not to choke on her drink.

"After you two have finished, you can start getting the place set up. Head out to town to pick up a few things. Manny will be back later and we'll head out for dinner and we won't be back until late."

We finish breakfast and get ready to go. Aaliyah and I decide to braid our hair so that we match since our outfits were matching too - woolly jumpers, jeans and green parka coats.

"You have no idea how long I've waited to meet you! Shawn's a great brother, but it's nice to have a sister or something, you know what I mean?"

I nod my head. "Thanks Aaliyah, that means a lot coming from you."

"So do you like him? Shawn?"

He steps into the room looking good as ever as he strokes his hair. I clear my throat. "Sure I do, but let's keep that between you and me," I whisper to Aaliyah.

"Are we ready? Hey, what are you two whispering about?"

"You," we both say in unison and laugh at his confused face.

   I push the trolley as Aaliyah picks some things out, Shawn striding along beside me.

"Everyone wants to meet you tonight," Shawn says.

I stop and stare at him. "Excuse me?"

He laughs nervously and scratches the back of his head. "Yeah, when I said friends, I actually meant my team..."

I glare at him.

"Don't worry, Brian's still coming, and Matt-"

"Oh that makes it so much better," I say sarcastically. "Shawn, you could have just said." I sigh.

"Are you mad?"

"What? No!" I laugh and he joins in, but keeps a careful eye on me, making me laugh even more.

"Good, because I told them you were, uh, my girlfriend."

"Shawn!" I squeal.

A few girls turn their heads at the name and see Shawn, running over immediately towards us. I rush away to the side with Aaliyah and we hide behind a display with our hoods on, watching Shawn take pictures with them. He thanks them and walks all the way around before reaching us at the back.

I stare at him. "Seriously Shawn, why?"

He pulls me aside, away from Aaliyah to talk in private. "It was the only way to let Andrew think all this was okay. He thinks I should be careful, but it's fine. I mean everyone else thinks it's cute."

"What, that you're wasting time on a fan? You know, maybe Andrew does have a point." I fold my arms at my own self-realisation, and if Andrew has doubts, there's no way I get a chance with Shawn.

"Hey," Shawn whispers. He lifts my head up and pulls my hood back, forcing me to look up at him. "Stop pulling yourself away. Don't let little things get to you, Andrew's just conscious about stupid things and protective."

I'm not convinced by his words. What if Andrew says that Shawn can't be with me? Even if we aren't really dating, he can't tell Shawn to break up with me, right?