Chapter 69

As soon as everyone was home, we started decorating the house, ready for the countdown to Christmas. Plus, Shawn, Lilly and I are heading to the Jingle Ball, and won't be back until the first few days of December.

"There should be no mistletoe around whatsoever," I finish.

Shawn brings one up infront of me, holding it above us and mischievously smiles.

"What if there's one above us now?" He asks innocently.

"You get nothing but a slap across that gorgeous face of yours," I tease. "Hurry up and hang the rest of the tinsel will you?"

His smirk drops to a pout and I laugh. I put the box of decorations down and wrap my arms around his neck. "Don't be disheartened, better luck next year," I whisper and give a quick peck on his cheek.

Aaliyah walks into the room and I quickly detach myself from Shawn, but shes beaming.

"Did the mistletoe work then?"

Shawn groans. "Aaliyah!?"

I squint at Shawn and he nervously laughs. He sprints past Aaliyah and up the stairs.

"Shawn!" I yell as I run after him.

As I reach the top of the stairs he rushes to shut his bedroom door but my shoulder and legs hold the door open. I push my way in and leap onto Shawn. I tackle him down to the ground but we end up rolling around on the floor. We stop as we hit the bed on our side, where Shawn lays ontop of me. We laugh and catch our breath as we gaze into each other's eyes.

"Am I in trouble?" Shawn whispers.

"Of course you are Mendes. It's cute though. All that just to try and steal a kiss." I laugh again at his child-like ways of doing things.

"What," he says, the word softly falling off his lips.

I stroke his cheek with my thumb, the running creating two perfect spots on his skin. I move down to stroke his lip, wanting to taste them. He smiles at my touch and leans forward so our foreheads touch, our lips so close together. I chicken out and turn my head slightly, where Shawn plants a gentle kiss on the edge of my lips. 

He shifts his body so we're both on the floor, his arms wrapped around me.

"I was so close," he murmurs into my ear, making my heart beat fast.

"Not close enough," I reply. But it was pretty close. Should I have let him kiss me? Make it official, once and for all? What if I'm getting the wrong signals all this time and he's only being nice to me? But it can't be. It's been 2 months already since we first met. I let out a small laugh at the thought of our first meeting.

"What's so funny?" Shawn asks.

I pull away from him and sit up, propping my head on my knees. "Remember the first day we met two months ago?"

He nods his head and laughs.

"Look where we are now. Our first Christmas together-"

"Together?" His eyes look hopeful and sparkle.

I open my mouth to speak, but I don't want to take the light away from his eyes so I stop myself. Instead I nod my head and smile to reassure him. "Together," I repeat. "And I hope there's many more to come, be it as friends or-"

"Or...?"

Whoops. I blush and realise I've gone too far.

Shawn chuckles and hugs me tight. "I hope there's many more Christmases to come too."

My heart flips inside me as I play over what he just said. For some strange reason, I thought I heard the sound of my mum calling. But I hear my name again. I sit up straight and listen again as Dad joins in.

"Merry Early Christmas Jess," Shawn says, tucking strands of hair behind my ear. He gets up and offers his hand to me, but I jump on him, giving him a tight hug.  I bury my face in his shoulder as he holds onto me tight. Tears stream down my face because I get to see my parents again.

"Thank you Shawn, but how? W-Why-"

"Because everyone deserves to be with their family during Christmas. Especially you."

This boy is so sweet. I wipe my tears away quickly. I kiss the side of his cheek and watch his lips stretch into a wide smile, showing off his perfect teeth.

"Wow! Two kisses in fifteen minutes?" Shawn teases.

I roll my eyes and laugh. "Don't push your luck Mendes."

I pinch his cheek gently and head downstairs, where my parents are waiting for me in the hallway.

"Mum! Dad!" The tears start again as I greet them with kisses and hugs, spinning them around in the hallway.