Chapter 1

"Come here, Anodien," Legolas commanded, his voice soft yet firm. He held a damp cloth in his right hand and a glass bottle of salve in his left.

"It'll be fine," Anodien protested, lifting her hand to touch at her injured cheek. Their battles against the Fae had resulted in many wounded soldiers, and the healers were nearly working themselves to death trying to take care of the thousands that returned, battered and bruised.

"Anodien, you have to let yourself be cared for every once in a while," Legolas told her. "You deserve it, mellon-nin."

"It's just a tiny sword cut," Anodien protested. "There are many others with worse wounds who've survived."

"There were also others with lesser injuries than a cut on their cheek who let it fester and died days later," came the Elven prince's swift reply. He extended his hand to Anodien and waited for her to take it. The Faeling rolled her eyes, but obeyed and grasped his hand. She absently noticed how soft his peach-colored skin was as she knelt in front of him. Legolas took care as he dabbed at the gash in her cheek with the cloth. Though it stung like fury, with her closest friend nearby, she felt safe and protected.

It was a feeling she'd long lost, and the Faeling welcomed its return. Anodien remained silent, allowing the Elf to finish patching her up.

"You live to fight another day," Legolas told her, a teasing smile gracing his thin face. A humorous light gleamed in Anodien's foresty eyes at their shared joke.

"As I live to fight you yet again," she retorted, the statement rolling off her tongue like a well-known song. Her voice returned to its former serious tone. "Thank you."

"I could never let you wander around like that." He embraced her comfortingly, and Anodien inhaled his sweet scent. He released her and pressed warm lips against the patched wound. "Thank you for allowing me to care for you." Anodien dipped her head, and Legolas strode out of the room.

As he disappeared from view, the Faeling's skin began to tingle where he'd kissed. She brushed her fingers against the tender area, reflecting on it with wonder.