Chapter 12

I can't live my life like this. I can't. He is nothing to me. He is nothing to me. A passing fancy. I do not love him. I cannot love him. He never loved me. I cannot shed one more tear over him. He does not deserve my attention, my heart. The princess stood up shakily, her face turned upwards to the heavens. "May Your kingdom be full of maggots and worms, Iluvatar, for as You have turned Your back on me, so I will turn my own on You."

May Legolas find himself as cursed and broken as I.

...

Anodien tracked the Elf to the cliff where he'd told her about Tauriel. The princess' lips curled up into a snarl. She remained motionless, glaring at the Elf's back.

"I know you're there, Anodien," he murmured, shifting his weight over to the other side. His arms crossed over his chest.

"Then do you know why I have come?" she challenged. Legolas turned his head just enough so he could see her.

"No." Anodien took a step towards him.

"No time, I suppose." She drew closer, and the prince raised an eyebrow. "You wouldn't bother to listen anyways."

"Anodien, what's wrong?" Legolas' voice was laced with concern, and he reached out for her. She stayed motionless, her eyes boring into his.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" The Faeling questioned, her tone hysterical. "You like making me think you're clueless. That time is over, Legolas." The Ellon stood up and faced her, placing his hand on her forearm. She smacked it off in a split second, hissing furiously.

"You're unwell," Legolas insisted, brushing her hair back. "Come, let us visit Nanuet."

"I am in pain, Greenleaf. But it is nothing a healer can fix." Anodien began to circle around the confused Elf like a predator to its prey. "This pain..." She slowed and grasped his hand, moving it to her chest. Her heart beat quickly underneath his palm. "Comes from here." The princess leaned in close, her lips next to his ear. "And you are the one who put it there."

"Anodien, what in all of the--" Legolas was unable to finish his sentence. Anodien slammed her fist into the left side of his face, and a satisfying crack rang through the air. The Elf fell to the ground, and she stared at him with a mixture of regret and sorrow.

"It was cruel of you to leave my heart beating... when you were the only one I would offer it to," she whispered. A single tear rolled down her cheek, and she quickly brushed it away. Without another word, she fled, leaving the Ellon behind. By the time Legolas awoke from unconsciousness, Anodien was long gone.