Chapter 3

Anodien sat beside Legolas, both of them silent. The Elleth's mind, however, was anything but. A soft wind blew past them, making the grove of willow trees dance. The grass tickled at the princess' bare feet. Anodien curled her knees close to her chest while a stream gurgled nearby. Legolas laid down while she pondered over this strange situation. Her traitorous mind noticed a thousand things about him she'd been ignorant to before she'd been bombarded by familiar feelings she'd shoved away.

She noticed how his lips curled up slightly in a tiny smile while he was relaxed, how he always had a strand of hair in front of his ears no matter how often he brushed it back, even something so trivial as the thrumming of his throat as he breathed in and out.

How sad and pensive you must seem, she chastised herself. Empty your mind of this balderdash. With a quick flick of her neck, the Faeling chased away the mere notion of any depth of feeling.

"Legolas?" Anodien murmured, placing a hand on the Ellon's shoulder and shaking lightly. "It's time to return to Ithiliond." Slowly, Legolas' eyelids opened, revealing his deep blue irises.

"Is it?" He sat up and stretched, a groan escaping his lips. "Hardly any time seems to have passed."

"The sun is well below the horizon," came Anodien's answer. "They will be expecting us." She winced as her tone wavered. Legolas fixed his gaze on Anodien, care and concern clear in his eyes.

"Are you alright?" he queried slowly, his voice reverberating in her chest. She waved his question off.

"Don't worry about it." The Elleth stood and helped her companion up. He looked at her with his right brow raised. "I'll be fine. Just a few thoughts." Legolas turned away after giving her a slight nod of acceptance, though it was clear that he did not fully believe her. Unbeknownst to him, he was not the only one.