Chapter 4

The tiny stones tickled Anodien's feet as she walked through the stream. It was a hot day and the cooling water was very soothing on her thighs. She wore nothing but a slip and her undergarments, the heat proving too great for a full outfit. 

The Faeling continued to stroll through the splashing water while thinking about many different things. One of the bigger things was leaving Ithiliond to return to her homeland. Her father's death meant that his entire inheritance went to his eldest child-- her. She was the heir to hundreds of thousands of workers and the entire kingdom of Faellond. In all technicality, once she returned she would be crowned queen.

Leaving would mean that everyone she'd befriended since taking up residence in Ithiliond. They don't matter, she argued with herself. The workers I am now the master of need me there, they need me more than anyone else does, even if Le--

She refused to think about it. Scanning through her mind frantically, Anodien latched onto a different thought.

It had been a month since her sister Minaethiel had given birth to Balglas, a sickly little thing. Both his and his mother's survival had been doubtful, and Anodien despised King Gili for his lack of control. I'd never act like a cooing dove over anyone, she decided. However, when the Elven prince appeared in her mind, her vow seemed nearly meaningless.Oh, you must be fertile... don't pay any heed to it.

Despite Anodien's excuse to herself, she nearly hoped that fertility wasn't the case, that perhaps she might feel something. No. Her mood soured by her own thoughts, she hopped out of the water and dried off, taking the path back to Ithiliond. I cannot...

Can't I?

No. I will return to Ithiliond to bid them all farewell. I have no other choice.

You do have a different choice, Anodien. Ask Aerolett to take over. He would be all too happy to take the throne and make changes. Think of how he'd teach the Fae to praise Iluvatar instead of Melkor.

While that's true, many wouldn't trust him to take the throne... and he is my cousin, I don't want to place him in danger. Assassins would be after him, no doubt.

He's a grown Fae, he can take care of himself.

"Anodien? What are you talking about?" Anodien realized she'd not only reached Ithiliond, but had also been thinking aloud. Legolas' sharp blue eyes gazed at her quizzically. The princess took a deep breath, preparing herself.

This is it. I must make my choice here. Do I stay with the Elves... or leave to take my place as queen?