Chapter 16: Georgetown Prep

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: GEORGETOWN PREP

Jayce's POV

I was used to pressure. Nerves never built up in me before a meet and sweat never fell before an exam. I didn't have the luxury to worry, only the time to act. My family was depending on me, I was supposed to be their golden ticket.

My mother left when the twins were one, leaving my dad with five kids to take care of on his own. She wanted more in life, and went off to search for someone who could fulfill her financial needs. Dad worked as an AC and Heating repair company. The money was decent, but as a single father, it didn't cover much. I took up a part time job to help out a much as I could; I was the oldest and only one able to work. The others were too young.

Mayce was twelve and was very serious when it came to school. He always copied me and I knew he would find his own identity soon. Kendyll, my only sister, was seven and sassy. She was definitely a first-class diva, and the cutest thing ever. The twin; Noyce and Royce, are turning four this weekend. They were energetic and benevolent at time, always keeping their own little secrets. They were the only ones with mom's blonde hair. The rest of us took dad's jet black do. They were always playing with my paint, dumping black paint on their heads to look like us. I always had to assure them that they were part of the family and not alone.
I never felt burdened by my family, they gave me a sense of purpose and I understood I had to be strong for them.

The water.

I always felt my strongest while swimming. It was like I was passing through all the troubles; pass the unpaid bills, balancing work with school and home life; through everything that could bother me.

"I think we should break up." Farrah bluntly said, handing me a towel. Did she really have to do this during practice?

I shrugged, taking a seat at the bench. The rest of the team were still doing some laps, but I finished first and had time for a break.

"I knew you wouldn't care." she scoffed.

"It's not that I don't care... it's more that I'm not surprised." This was my fourth break-up this year, and all of them were for the same reason.

"You just don't take care of me a way a boyfriend should."

"I'm going to shower and change." I announced, walking into the locker room. I really liked her, she was fun to be around. I just couldn't afford to spoil anyone, not even myself.

Once I was finished, I was surprised to see that she waited.

I sighed, walking down the halls with her by my side. There were still some students spread out through the hallway due to after school club meetings. Georgetown Prep had a lot of after school activities in an attempt to keep the student body busy and out of trouble. It didn't always work.

It was a bit awkward having an audience to our conversation. I stopped by my locker to get the homework I had for the week. The faster I got it done, the more time I would have for the rest of the week. That was how my Mondays were.

"Today is my birthday and this was what you gave me?!" She pulled the picture I painted for her from her bag.

It was a bouquet of rose that I painted in rainbow-ombre style watercolors. It took me two weeks to think it up, sketch it out, and paint it. Dedicating my free time and heart to it meant nothing to her. She just saw it as a piece of paper.

"Are you really that cheap? I'm just going to do you a favor since you cn't eve afford a girlfriend." She balled up the picture, throwing it on the ground.