School Dances Past

SCHOOL DANCES PAST

[Hello! This is another mini-chapter taking place... three years ago! FYI, the following will show Tyler under the influence. His thoughts will show how distorted his train of thought is so don't take what he says seriously, lol. Don't underage drink!]

Tyler's POV

I was dreading this day, eight grade graduation. I was scared of high school, I just hated the whole idea of it. Kids going through puberty and forgetting all their old friends on the journey for popularity. I never wanted to be popular. Did I have to become some kind of outcast because of that. I was smart enough to know that everything was going to change after today.

Here, everybody just talked to who was available, making new friends when they wanted companionship. But if all the teen dramas I watched were true, everyone would have to go through some criteria to just be able to sit at certain table.

To be honest, I have seen some of that since middle school started, but it was going to be at a whole other level in high school. I could feel it.

They glammed up the gym, adding lights around the bleachers and a fog machine by the DJ's station. The dance committee went through fundraising overload to make this look amazing. Was it even worth it? I bet half of us won't even remember tonight.

I was more simplistic. If I was in charge, it would just be some speakers and a Linkin Park album.

"Dude, why do you look so bum? Tonight, we become men." Dillan handed me a cup of punch.

He was the closest thing to a best friend I had. I always socialized with everyone. When my father passed away, everyone was so nice and always talked to me to keep me from going deeper into my dark place. Dillan was the first, and now we weren't even going to be in the same school. I couldn't imagine being the same me without him by my side.

I knew him since kindergarten, he wouldn't just throw me away after tonight, right?

Taking the drink, I sipped it down hard. It must of fell down the wrong tube; I couldn't stop coughing. This didn't taste that good, what did they put into this? Not enough fruit punch, that's for sure.

"Whoa!" He laughed. "Have another. Hogan, see how fast he chugs this!"

I didn't know what was such a big deal, I was just drinking juice. Chugging drinks was so third grade.

Crap, I was already getting that high school set of mind. I refused to let my personality get destroyed by puberty. I just wanted thing to stay the same for once, no more drastic changes that flipped my life around. I didn't want to be a man without my dad there to guide me. What was the point of growing up f he wasn't there to watch?

Where did thse thoughts come from? It was like my subconscios was leaking.

"Give me two more." I said after finishing my second one.

"You might want to slow down." Hogan snickered. "Save some for the rest of us."

"Actually, go crazy. We need to finish it before someone finds out." Dillan tapped his cup against mine. "Let's turn it up." He just couldn't stop laughing tonight.

*

Everything felt louder, like I was in sensory overload. Crap, have my hands always been this smooth, I was like a friggin' goddess.

"Dillan, feel my hands!" I chuckled, I had to share this with everyone.

Rubbing my hands together with his, I notice how rough his were. "What have you been doing with your hands?"