Ch 2

Taylor's POV

Cara had rushed to tell me the news as soon as they had seen Ed stir. I had burst into tears the moment she told me he was waking up, which had pretty much been what I had been doing since the accident.

Everything triggered those horrible memories, a person carrying Starbucks reminded me of the coffee shop we had stopped in right before. People carrying flowers to sick loved ones reminded me of the flowers Ed had bought me that morning and brought to our new house right outside of Nashville. Then there were cameras, cameras were the worst. Every time I saw a flash go off I broke down crying cause it had hurt so much.

But the worst wasn't remembering the accident, it was that I couldn't do anything about it after the fact. Losing him was something I had never dreamed of, his hobbit jokes about how short he was, the way he would sneak behind me and sweep me off my feet and kiss me while I was in the middle of making dinner until the fire alarm would go off because I had totally forgotten about what I was cooking. And the way we made music together, it was like nothing I had ever experienced before. It was, after all, on the B stage of my Red tour when I realized how totally and completely I had fallen for him. Everything had changed.

When Ed had gone into a coma, I hadn't just lost my husband, but something else as well. I had lost the one thing that was there for me all of my life, before Ed had come along. The thing that was there for me  when I was just a little girl growing up on a Christmas tree farm with crazy dreams. Music. I hadn't so much as picked up a guitar or written down any lyrics since the accident, which made me fear if I ever would again. I had lost the ability to pour my feelings into lyrics and notes since it all seemed so pointless knowing the one person on this earth I loved the most could leave me at any moment. Everything, in fact, seemed pointless now that Ed had left me.

But Ed was stirring, and now I had other worries. Like, what would he think when he found out what had happened when he was asleep, helpless in that comma. He would be so disappointed, and I was crushed knowing how heart broken he would be, but at that point I had been so desperate I had done anything to regain feeling. I had been a vegetable, not thinking, not caring, in more ways more lifeless than he was, and then it had happened.

I stood up and looked at Cara and smiled. I felt so guilty every time I saw her. Harry and her were so happy together, he had finally found a regular everyday kind of girl, and they had instantly fallen in love. It was quite beautiful, actually. Ed had been Harry's best man along with the other four boys, and even I couldn't help but get teared up when they said their vows. And what had I done? Taken away the pure love and replaced it with guilt and deception on Harry's part.

I shook the guilt off as we had reached his room in the ICU, and there he was, so many tubes connected to him, and he looked a little dazed but it was him. My Ed. I had pictured this moment so many times in my head, I would rush to his bedside and kiss him until I had forgotten he had left in the first place, he would tell me he was sorry for having left me all those days and I would have playfully hit him and told him to never do that again. We would have gone home and lived the rest of our lives completely happy.

But as Ed's eyes flittered over me and went straight to Cara, and as he smiled at her like he used to smile at me, with complete love and adoration, I knew in the pit of my stomach that everything had changed, but this time for the worst.