Ch 12

This is NOT the last chapter

Taylor's POV

It was dark. Just so dark and heavy, I was trapped, fully aware that I was alive and fully aware that I was dead at the same time. My lungs, my lungs were unwillingly receiving air, some outside force was making sure that I was able to breathe. I would have yanked it out if my arms hadn't felt like lead. Maybe it was a good thing that whoever wants me dead could have their wish, everyone was better off without me anyway. I completely betrayed Cara, Harry hates me for what we did, and Ed-oh Ed, the one person I thought would love me forever doesn't want anything to do with me.

I wanted so badly just to open my eyes and scream at the nurses to take this stupid thing off of me, the thing preventing me from leaving the life I no longer wanted. Why? I wanted to scream. Why do you keep me breathing when every breath I take only hurts more and more people.

Suddenly though, I heard something, something so familiar, something that felt like it was a part of me somehow. It was the one part of my life that no one could take away: music. First it was faint, then it was more clear, breaking through the depths of my despair like a saving chord pulling me out of my misery.

I heard the first few haunting chords of the song, then a voice. A voice so angelic I almost thought I had died and gone to heaven, but I didn't believe they sung my songs in heaven.

The thick but delicate British voice I had fallen in love with began singing my words, words that at had at once been just lyrics, but now had the power to save my life.

"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'd never let you go, when all those shadows almost killed your light..." the saving voice began. I was crying, I could feel the tears rushing out of my eyes. Ed, oh God, it was Ed singing those words. I held on to this moment, though I didn't dare open my eyes for fear I was dreaming. I listened to the whole song, trying to think what this meant. All too soon it ended, "Just close your eyes, you'll be alright, come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound...I love you Taylor, I'm so sorry I left you, but you're safe now, I'm here." The pressure off of my face was relieved as the mask was removed and replaced with the warm lips I thought would never touch me again. In that moment I knew it was real, nothing had ever been more real than our love, and as his lips left mine, I opened my eyes.

"Ed, I'm so sorry, I-"

"Shh, it's okay, nothing was your fault, it was me who should be apologizing, you did nothing wrong. I love you Taylor, and I won't let anything happen to you."

As we joyfully embraced,  I couldn't help but know that I had never felt safer than I did right now, and I knew for certain that I would live the life I had once loved, and it would be with Ed. Music had saved my life once, and it looked like it would be saving it again.

*Taylor Swift's lyrics of safe and sound belong to her and whoever owns the rights, they are not mine