Loss (36)

Chapter 36

*Ciara's POV*

I wake up, unaware of my surroundings at first. I sit up in the uncomfortable bed, getting a better look around. A sharp pain erupts in my stomach, causing me to flinch at the sudden shoot of pain. I lay back down, staring at the light on the ceiling. The hospital ceiling.

An IV is connected to my wrist and a loud machine is beeping next to me. I couldn't get my mind to work correctly, what happened after I was shot? I only remember seeing Mike with a gun. My worries increase more once I realize I'm clueless as to where Mason is at this very moment.

I suck in a deep breath and sit up, trying to deal with the contstant pain. I begin to pull everything that's connected to me off and sit at the side of the bed. I gather up the courage to take my first step and walk into the hall. I try my best to ignore the pain.

My body is sweaty and the hospital gown I wear only makes me feel itchy. I stand up, my legs are weak and they feel like they're about to give out. I reach out to grab something but it's too late, I was already crashing towards the floor.

I land on my arm, a cup smashes on the ground as it lets off a loud noise. "Damn it," I curse, pain shooting all around my body. I sit there for a second, wondering what I should do next. I study the side of the bed, checking to see if there's a button I could press to send in a nurse, but there wasn't one.

"Ciara?" I hear someone call from the hallway, it's definitely a guy's voice. I didn't know who it was until they came into my room. It was James. "Need some help?" He offers, coming over to help guide me up.

"Where's Mason?" I say without even thinking. I didn't realize until this very moment how often I've been saying those two words. Which is actually a very horrible thing to realize.

"He's safe." I feel the fright wear away, making it a tiny bit easier for me to breathe.

James starts to help me up, I cringe at his rough handling and my stomach feels like it's on fire. I get situated back into bed, adjusting the pillow to my comfort. That's when I look back up to James, I note his red, puffy eyes in the light. Had he been crying? "Are you okay?" I ask, feeling guilty I hadn't noticed his appearance before.

He sits down on the bed with me, taking my cold hand into his. It takes him a few moments before he begins talking, it seems like he wasn't sure on what to say. My heart is pulsating quickly in my chest, I'm expecting to hear the worst. "Ciara, I don't know how to tell you this..." his voice shakes with each word. My mouth begins to quiver at the thought of what could have happened.

As if on cue, the rest of the Renolds walk into the dull room. But one Renold in particular is missing, and that's when I realize what he's leading on to say next. "No," I whisper, my heart feels as if it's in my throat. The absence of my best friend in the room gives it away, she would be the first one here, that is, if she was alive. James doesn't even have to even say it, I already know. Mike had taken Jordan's life.

He takes in a deep breath. The next sentence is one none of us in the room have ever wanted to say. "Jordan, sh-she's gone." He swallows his tears, and I can see the sadness in his eyes. I stare at him, my eyes wide. It takes me a few moments for my brain to register everything, but before anything else I feel, I can feel my stomach drop and my eyes flood with tears.

Then, I suddenly remember the last moments where I saw Jordan. I see her running over to me, Mike had the gun pointed at her, then I don't remember anything else. Who would have known that was the last time I would ever see my best friend?

All of the memories flutter in my mind. I remembered everything when it came to her. I remembered her favorite season, food, candle scent, everything. I know everything about her, she knows everything about me. We shared so much in common, who am I going to be able to laugh with? Who am I going to be able to cry with? No one else stuck with me through all my doubts. Jordan was and still is my best friend and Mike just took her so selfishly.