Chapter Nine: Empty

LOUIS

Nothing felt normal anymore.

Louis felt empty and sad and cold all the time. He got two weeks off of work to mourn and heal. Harry came over everyday. Louis was starting to feel smothered by him. He just wanted to be alone. He understood that Harry cared for him, he cared for Harry as well. But there was a point where Louis needed space.

Harry told him that he informed his mum and sister, that they were sad for them. Perrie stopped by a couple of times after she got off of work, she was supportive and great. Liam was great too, helping out with Isa any way he could.

It was the Friday before Easter Sunday. Karen and Geoff were having their dinner, and Louis knew he couldn't miss it. Even though it was only six days after losing his baby. Louis spent the day doing wash and packing up their belongings. They'd be leaving that evening when Liam got home.

Harry was taking and picking up Isabella from school for Louis. Louis knew that doing so inconvenienced Harry, but the curly-haired lad didn't know what no meant. So when he dropped off Isabella, Louis tried to keep things short.

"Papa!" Isabella called as the front door opened. Louis walked out of her bedroom and smiled at his little girl. She ran up and hugged his legs tightly.

With his little girl in his arms, Louis forgot all about his heartache. She was his rock and the center of his world. He pushed through for her.

"You're going to Wolverhampton?" Harry asked, breaking up their moment.

Louis looked at him, the happiness in his heart dwindling as the sadness reentered. Harry's green eyes weren't the same since they got the news about their baby. Nothing about them was the same.

"Yeah," Louis answered with a nod. "Can't miss it."

"I figured with what happe-"

"No." Louis didn't want to discuss the miscarriage in front of Isabella. She didn't need to know that something bad happened like that. Louis smiled down at his daughter and said, "Say thank you to Mr. Harry then pack up some of your books and toys for Nana's."

Isabella went up to Harry, throwing herself at him. She loved Harry so much. This. This is what Louis was scared of. She said softly, "Thank you, Harry. You have a good Easter with your mummy."

"Thank you, little bird. You have a good Easter with your papa and family," Harry responded, kissing her on the forehead before placing her back on the ground.

Once she was gone and out of sight, Louis said, "I'm perfectly fine to travel to Wolverhampton."

"I'm just saying, Louis... You experienced a trauma, I think you should stay home."

"It's... It's almost been a week. I feel fine and the bleeding has stopped. I can go back home for a few days."

Harry stepped closer, his hand coming up to stroke Louis' cheek. He murmured, softly, "I just want what's best for you."

"What I want is to be alone with my family for a few days."

Harry's eyes filled with tears, "I'm sorry, Louis."

"Don't need to apologize. None of this..." Louis looked down at Harry's lips which were pulled down in a frown. Harry rarely smiled at him anymore. He cleared his throat and continued, "This isn't your fault."

"I wish things were different," Harry whispered, pressing a kiss to Louis' cheek. "Have a nice trip, Louis."

Harry was gone. The hole in Louis' heart widened. He wanted Harry, but he wasn't going to allow himself to need him. Not anymore.