Chapter 6- The Reveal

"You know about it, don't you." Levi could tell Eren wasn't really asking.

He responded with a small nod, "I do."

She nodded as well, but then a look of confusion crossed over her face. "Then why are you still here?"

Her question caught him a little off guard. He thought about it, the why to his actions recently. But than he realized that Eren was all alone, never having anyone by her side who would take care of her. And Levi could relate, sadly.

"Tch." He stood up and placed his knee on the hospital bed, quickly placing his hands on either side of her, looking her in the eye. She looked incredibly startled, like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle.

Levi leaned forward a bit to stress his point and spoke in an authoritative tone, "Eren, you can't get rid of me that easily, you know."

Eren just stared at him with wide eyes, shock pronounced on her features. He could also see a small blush painting her cheeks. However, tears began to form in her eyes.

He realized he was still on top of her, so he moved to get off. But arms wrapped around him stopping him from moving away, and he felt a face pressed against his chest. He looked down and was a little surprised at the sight greeting him.

She was hugging him but also shaking slightly, as if she was afraid she was doing something wrong and waiting for him to hit her for it. A small bitter smile found it's way to his lips.

Levi tentatively wrapped his arms around her. Eren tensed at first, but slowly eased into his embrace, and the shaking finally stopped. He was worried about any movement hurting her anymore than necessary, but he also didn't want her to feel so scared anymore. 

"Please, don't leave me," she asked seemingly out of nowhere.

His own eyes widened in surprise, but asked instead, "Why would you say that, brat?"

She squeezed a little tighter before she answered. "No one has ever stayed before. I don't have any real family and I don't try to make any friends in fear they might reject me, because I know for a fact they'll leave once they know. They always have. But," and here she hesitated for a second before soldiering on, "You're the first person who has stayed. Ever. And I don't want to lose you."

She leaned away, and looked down. "But I will understand if you want to leave. I won't stop you. It would be a bother to be around someone who-"

Levi gently placed his hand against her mouth, effectively cutting her off. She trembled a little again but seemed to understand.

He said, "You obviously weren't listening earlier. I'm not going anywhere, and I meant it. Nothing you can say or do will ever change that. Your past means nothing to me. I know what you did, and I know why you did it. If it were me, I most definitely would do the same thing. If people can't realize that, then they are unintelligent fools. I don't want to hear another word from you about the possibility of me leaving, because there is no chance whatsoever. It will never ever happen. Understood?"

She was crying again, and the tears were falling gently onto his hand. She simply nodded her head and closed her eyes. Removing his hand, Levi leaned in to press their foreheads together softly. They stayed that way, eyes closed, both of them just enjoying each others' company in silence.

They eventually moved so that their backs were leaning against the headboard. Eren had eventually cried herself to sleep, but he couldn't be sure what type of tears they were. She was leaning her head on his shoulder, breathing deep and evenly. He had one arm wrapped around her tenderly in a protective hold. A nurse came in to check on her, quickly getting the necessary information on her clipboard and heading out again.