Chapter 17- The Pain of Consequences

Grisha's P.O.V.

I couldn't believe that my plan was working so well. I had found the backdoor unlocked and had snuck inside. Though avoiding the maids was a slight problem; I had to knock one out. As I approached what I thought was the main entranceway, I heard laughter from a group of people. Peeking around the corner, I found several teenagers gathered around a lit fireplace playing games, snacking, and sharing jokes. My eyes alit upon the one person who I only had interest in. And she was sitting in the lap of the one person I did not want to see. This would make my plan harder. But at that moment, she got up and said she was going to the bathroom. Of course, the boy had asked if he should come along, which made my heart fall, because that would spoil my plans again. He always excelled at that. But thankfully, she said no and continued on her way. I raced to get into position behind a tapestry near the bathroom. After about a minute, she came down the hall and reached for the bathroom door handle. And then the fist came down.

I had to hurry, so I quickly picked up her limp body and rushed to the backdoor and shoved her into the car. I wasn't aware I had made a pool of her blood on the floor.

Levi's P.O.V.

I was seeing red. In both the blood and in my vision. I was vaguely aware of people behind me asking what was wrong and than gasping as they caught a look at what I found. And then I was running. Running as hard and fast as possible down the hall. I found the open backdoor, and continued sprinting out. And my efforts were rewarded with the view of the back of a black jeep. Quickly, I cataloged the license plate in my memory, whipping out my phone in the process. I really wasn't liking how the police and I were becoming acquainted. The voice on the end of the line was rapidly getting on my nerves. The kind that doesn't give a crap about anything and is only there because they have to be.

"Hello? What is it?" the operator asked tiredly.

"Well, I would say I'm sorry that I had to bother you, but my girlfriend has just been kidnapped and I need you to do something about it!" I practically screamed the end at him.

This seemed to grab his attention.

"Okay, when did this happen? And do you have any information regarding the method of kidnap?"

"Yes, the kidnapper just left about two minutes ago and drove a black jeep. The license plate number was QH873FU."

"Alright, the police need to set up a perimeter around your house. What is your address?"

As quickly as I could, I relayed my address to him, also giving details about what Eren looked like.

Then the operator asked, "Is there any chance that Ms. Eren Jaeger has any enemies?"

The first person to pop up in my head was the one person I hated the most.

"Yes sir, but her father is currently in jail," I gritted out.

The line went deathly quiet.

"Sir, her father wouldn't happen to be Dr. Grisha Jaeger, would it?" They asked softly.

And that is when my heart completely left my body. Forget dropping to my stomach or the floor. It shattered on the way down. It was an effort to continue speaking.

"How did you know that?" I asked in a hoarse whisper.

"Dr. Grisha Jaeger has escaped and his whereabouts are currently unknown," the guy said almost timidly. And for good reason.

"How did you let him escape?! And you didn't even call her to warn her that he even escaped?! When did this happen?" My eyes were seeing new shades of red now. There was even some black around the edges.

The operator seemed scared to reply. "H-he escaped around two days ago, and I am not sure w-why Ms. Jaeger was not notified."

I had to take several deep breaths before I threw my phone to the ground after verbally ripping this guy apart.

"I want to be kept posted about what is happening at thirty minute intervals. I don't care if that is inconvenient. Because what is inconvenient is that my girlfriend would still be here if she knew that her abusive father has escaped from jail and is now running amok in the city with her. You have my number, so there is no excuse," I demanded angrily.

I could hear the man stuttering anxiously on the other end, but I couldn't care less. I hung up the phone and turned to the crowd around me. Their faces mirrored mine with the warring emotions of shock, anger, and deep sadness. And anxiety. That ruled over everything. As soon as I acknowledged their presence, I told them what the phone operator told me. And immediately, I could tell that if some of them didn't know which emotion to choose among the chaos, it was definitely anger.

I looked them all in the eye for a couple of seconds, and then began to speak. "You all know as much as I do that we would do anything for Eren. She has brought all of us happiness, even when she had none of her own. And when we could finally give it to her, she has been taken from us. I say that is absolute bullcrap. The injustice of it all reaches new heights! She has suffered more than anyone can ever hope to imagine. This is the time to show her that she is no longer alone, and that her efforts were not in vain. She will be brought back to us safely, no matter what. I ask of you, will you join me? I cannot stand idly by as the love of my life is being put in harms way once again, as I also know that you also would not tolerate," I said.

At once, everyone gave an affirmative nod without hesitation. And I knew then that I could never have asked for better friends.

"Alright than, I need to be able to access the police radio to hear what is going on. Armin, can you do that?"

He gave me a look that asked if I was actually that stupid. To which my mouth twitched slightly upward, but refused to form the slight smile because of the present situation.

"Just asking, I needed to be sure. Alright everyone, let's get on the road," I said, clapping my hands loudly to start movement.

Eren's P.O.V.

I woke to darkness, my head throbbing incessantly. I immediately knew that I was not near Levi, because I felt absolutely empty. His presence usually filled me with inexplicable joy, but now I felt nothing and I was immediately on edge. I took stock of my surroundings; I was laying on the floor with my hands tied behind my back along with my feet. Thankfully, I was not blindfolded nor gagged, but when I looked up, I was cold for more than one reason.

The view above reminded me of my darkest memories. Because instead of a roof, there was only open sky, with the stars winking in and out of sight. This was all way too familiar for comfort. And then I heard the voice of my nightmares.

"So, you have finally woken up, eh?" the voice said, slithering out of the darkness. My head whipped around to the source, and I was greeted with my fears. I sorely wished I was wrong. You would think that the first thing that I would question would be if this was actually possible. What seemed like no time ago I was in Levi's arms, and I had needed to go to the bathroom. And now my father, who was supposed to be behind bars, was now grinning wickedly at me, and nothing good was promised in his eyes.