Chapter 9- The Voice of an Angel

Levi's P.O.V.

I woke up, and immediately regretted it.

It was 2:15 in the friggin' morning. Stupid insomnia. Go back to the fiery pits from whence you came. No one likes you.

Groaning, I pulled the blankets around me tighter and ducked underneath them, trying to grab a hold of the last fleeting traces of deep sleep.

After ten minutes of nada, I sighed and rolled out of the luxury of my warm blankets and comfortable mattress. Stretching while simultaneously walking my way to the balcony, I yawned and pushed open the French doors. I walked to the railing and leaned my forearms on it's cold surface. There was a slight wind, and I allowed it to travel over my body, shivering when it became almost unbearable. I had little more then a pair of boxers on I realized a little too late. Turning my head to the sunrise just peaking over the treetops surrounding the mansion, I viewed the remarkable colors, as I wondered once again how they could exist. Pastel orange, vibrant hues of pink and red, a dash of purple: all of these and more made the sunrise look quite unearthly. Accompanied by the birds and the singing, the sight before my eyes was absolutely glorious.

Wait, singing?

A voice was floating down from a higher floor. But, I thought, there isn't a higher floor. There's only... Eren's bedroom. Maybe it's the maids? But I immediately discarded that idea. It was way too early in the morning. So, who's singing?

The voice was angelic in nature: lilting, tranquil, relaxing, and positively beautiful. I had to investigate.

Slipping on some basketball shorts I had neatly hung up in my closet, I walked out of my room and headed toward the door leading to the top of the tower. Slowly, I climbed the well-oiled steps and crept up to the door, leaning my ear against said door. The voice had grown louder with each step I took towards the door, so it could only be coming from here. I then heard the lyrics to the song:

-Gently weaving through the blackened trees. Bright starlight passing through what was once so beautiful. Raging war has wrought its misery on all of God's creation. Singing and weeping and mourning for what has been lost, praying for its glorious return.

"Oh, thou has been lost to me, my fair friends. You once sheltered me from all of life's demands. I ask that you may come back to me once more, and show me thy beauty that I once perceived."

Time has wrought its damage on my once treasured friends. Her boughs of blossoms has long since been lost. "Curse those who seek to bring misery to me! Oh, my dear friends, I ask that you come back again. Don't let those who've destroyed you win their vict'ry o'er you."

Her blackened branches then began to take a dark brown, and tiny buds of pink began to form. My friend's have begun their revolution, and have answered my selfish request.

No one can make you bow before them. It is only by your own will that you may find what courage lies in you.-

The song was deep, sober, but wonderful. It was a heart-wrenching affair, and the voice had me in silent tears. It was filled with so much raw emotion, I could barely stand it. I could almost feel the heartbreak in me, and the sprouting courage in the last stanza. Quickly, I wiped away the last remaining tears and cautiously opened the door to peek on this angel.

I saw Eren sitting in the middle of the room, a picture frame in hand. Tears were streaming down her face. An open window blew in the morning's cold breath, rifling her hair, and tossing it back into her face. I could imagine that she was freezing, because she was only in a tank top and small shorts. It made me self-conscious of my half-dressed state as well.