ch.5 The chamber

"What the hell is this? A torture chamber," I demanded, scanning the room hurriedly. The picture of Sergeant was enough to make me uneasy.

One of the guards laughed huskily. I wanted to laugh it off, too, that way they wouldn't feel more powerful for scaring me, but I was scared, scared shitless.

"Oh, sorry, wrong room," Sheperd laughed nervously. I sighed in relief.

Sheperd shut the door immediately, but I couldn't help but try to squint to see more of it. The wires and machinery was one thing, but the picture of Sergeant really confused me. How did they have a picture of him? He hated taking pictures, even when they took those casual shots in the army, in order to identify every soldier.

The guards tugged me along to the next room, which was white as well, but there were many other kids there, kids my age. They all had plain white cotton dresses on, sort of like those night gowns at hospitals.

For a moment, I wondered if we were in the mental ward, where they stuffed all the psycho convicts. I'm technically supposed to be in here, with all the other minors, but my crime labeled me as an adult, that's why I was with grown men like Michael. But even at that, they didn't give me or other "mentally incapacitated" kids cell mates because they were afraid that would only lead to more shit.

Briefly, I imagined Sam as my cell mate. She obviously would never commit any kind of crime that would put her in jail, but having her in the cell with me would be so amazing that I might never want to leave this place. And y'all know I hate this dump, so that's saying something.

Sheperd smiled at the crowd of people inside.

"You might have guessed it, but this is the mental ward. I thought it might help you to interact with kids your age. You don't ever seem to talk to other kids," he told me. He grew really quiet at the end, like he felt bad for me or something.

"Kids my age don't like me," I shrugged plainly.

It was true. I never was good at making friends. I may be pretty slick with Sam, but in general, I was always the last kid to be chosen for soccer in gym. I don't know why, but kids were always afraid of me. Maybe they were afraid of Sergeant, so they were automatically afraid of me.

"Oh, that's not true, Harold. I bet you'll make lots of friends," he bent down a bit and smiled at me. "There's no "weirdos" or "freaks." Everyone is equal in this room."

I tried not to gag. He was getting all Disney on me and it made me sick because I wanted to believe it so badly.

Sheperd sighed loudly and patted my back. "Harold, I know the past few weeks, hell your whole life has probably been rough, but I'm here to help you. We're all here--"

"I don't like being a charity case," I interrupted harshly. 

"You're not a charity case. And I honestly want to help you and every other person in this building," he told me. I believed him, but I didn't want to show it. 

"Ok, Father Theresa," I smirked.

Sheperd laughed lightly. "I'll take that as an 'ok'."

I nodded and stepped toward the other freaks-- I mean charity cases. I guess it's not so bad since we're all psychos here.

"Find a pretty girl, Harold. I'm sure you'd keep her on her toes with your wits," he winked. I laughed lightly, but my cheeks grew a bit red. I don't wanna call it "blushing," but that's pretty much what I was doing.

I looked up and my eyes met these china doll blue eyes rimmed, partially smeared with black shadow. I smiled a bit shyly.

"I think I already found one," I mumbled to Sheperd. He patted my back.