ch.42 Dagger

(A/N: I decided to make Selena 18 in order to clear up all the issues with the statutory rape law. Initially, I wanted Selena's accusation to foreshadow Hangela's romantic relationship, since Harry is placed under questioning for nearly the same crime in KNIGHT... Either way, Selena's out of the story lol -Mariam Xx)

***********************************************************************************

I have to say, for a shitty book, things are turning out a bit better than I had expected. I waved Lana goodbye and headed down to my truck. My fingers tingled and my chest contracted in a strange rhythm that resembled neither happiness nor fear. Excitement. That's what it was: excitement.

I grabbed a bag of my laundry and stuffed it in my truck. I figured I needed an excuse to come by Danny and Angie's house.

The drive to their place was unbearably long. I've  gone there so many times, and yet, this particular instance took much longer. When I reached the house, my throat grew unbearably dry.

Danny answered the door before I could even catch my breath.

"Hey Harry, how are you?" Danny smiled. He patted my shoulder. I walked inside carefully, keeping my eyes glued to the floor.

The room smelled of marianara sauce and sauteed vegetables. Green bell peppers?

"So how ya been?" Danny asked, slinging his arm around my shoulder. I laughed awkwardly. 

“They um-- got another lead and let me off,” I mumbled. Danny didn't know much about the Selena issue and I didn't want to tell him. 

Danny nodded "ok." Thankfully, he wasn't the interrogating type. I had had enough of that this morning.

I scanned the kitchen quickly, hoping to see Angie, but also praying she wasn't here. Lana was right, I needed to just tell her. Even if my behavior dipslayed my feelings quite obviously, I needed to just say it. And Angie needed to hear it.

Angie sat quietly by the kitchen counter, drying off dishes. Her eyes met mine, but she looked away hurriedly.

“What? Did you guys forget each other?” Danny teased, pushing me in the shoulder. I tried not to laugh. I couldn't forget about Angie, not even if I tried.

“Hey Angela,” I greeted stiffly. She nodded tersely.

"Hi Harry."

Danny and I headed to the T.V. room while Angie wandered off to elsewhere. I sat down on the couch, beside Danny. It would seem odd if I followed Angie and randomly started talking to her. 

After a few minutes of watching old Keenan and Kel episodes, I heard the laundry machine churning clothes.  I excused myself and headed to my truck to bring back my bag of clothes.

Angie stood by the washing machine, tossing clothes in one at a time. She was wearing a loose T shirt with a  wide neckline that bared her shoulders. She bent down to reach for the detergent. I sucked in a breath. She was wearing yoga pants. Or leggings. Either way, they hugged the contour of her legs smoothly. 

"I brought you a present," I spoke up, trying to distract myself from staring at her legs. She glared at me, then at my bag. 

"Um thanks," she mumbled. I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic, but I didn't care. This was my lame excuse to talk to her.

When Angela opened my bag, she scrunched her nose.

“Jeez. Did you kill someone-- or something?” she coughed.

I crossed my arms over my chest as I laughed a bit nervously. Did I really smell that bad?

“Is there anything in the pockets?” she asked as she tossed the items carefully.