Nine|Righteousness

Dan is nervous, his stomach fluttering and hands ringing. How was this going to work? He's so anxious he can feel his heart race as they near Hendersons. Phil is not. In fact, he's almost skipping down the street. Is that a normal quality of an angel?

"Phil, how can you possibly be so excited at a time like this?" Dan said.

Phil smiled, "I don't get excited, though I may say so. I'm just ready for my first mission."

Dan takes a deep breath as they reach outside of the bar, "Phil, what if nobody we meet likes me? Most people here are looking for one night stands, and there's little chance anyone will like me for me. I'm boring anyway."

Phil put his hand on Dan's shoulder comfortably, at least in what he hoped was a comforting way, "Hey, we'll find someone for you, okay? Me, personally, without any need for a file, think that you're great. It was your suggestion that we come here, but if you'd rather change it I'm open to relocating."

Dan smiled slightly, "Thanks."

Phil took his hand off of his shoulder and turned towards the entrance, "It's your decision, Daniel."

Dan took a deep breath, "Let's go."

Phil turned back with an eyebrow raised, "Are you sure? I want you to be comfortable with this process. I really don't want to be a bad Cupid."

Dan laughed, "Yeah, I'm sure. Geez, you don't have to make it sound like you're taking my virginity. I think you're a great Cupid, Phil."

Phil nodded with an okay, and walked into the establishment, leaving Dan to follow. It was just like yesterday. Except a bit more crowded than you'd expect. It was Monday after all, and everyone was winding down from work, needing somewhere to go and just drink.

Dan was used to it though. He loved this place at night. Right now it was loud, but calm. At ten is when things get even louder, and people will start dancing and singing karaoke for no reason. This place had a multitude of uses, and music was one of them.

Normal bar by day, tiny nightclub by late evening. And no one would've thought this place would ever be habited by an angel. But here he was, taking the place in again with wide eyes.

"Why is everyone here sad?" Phil asked, staring at everyone like he could see through him.

"Well that's not true," Dan laughed, "Not fully."

Maybe.

Phil shook his head, "I can see their hearts. They're broken, even when they smile. It's painful to be here."

"Well, that's just life," Dan says, sitting down at a table.

"You are too, you know," Phil says, staring at him sadly.

"I am what?"

"Broken," Phil replies casually, his eyes eyes sharp.

Dan gulps and looks away, not wanting to admit that or hear it again. He knows, he knows.

"Well that's strange," Phil says, his eyes focused on something behind Dan.

"What?" Dan asks, whipping around and searching for something out of the ordinary.

"Him," Phil says, standing up and grabbing Dan by the hand as he rushed though the crowd.