Chapter Two

~Levy~

I sighed, kicking pebbles aimlessly as I walked through Magnolia. “It's not like I expected him to get excited that I was home, but he didn't have to act so indifferent.” I had separated from Jet and Droy after lunch so that we could all unpack from our trip. We agreed to meet up at the guildhall for dinner, all of us hoping to rest for a while beforehand. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sit still. I had thought about Gajeel the entire time I was away, and it hurt that he didn't seem to care at all about me.

“Stupid Gajeel,” I grumbled, kicking hard at a larger pebble.

“Ow!” I heard someone shout from ahead of me.

“I'm so sorry!” I gasped, running to the person I had just hit with the pebble. “I didn't know anyone was ahead of me on the sidewalk. Are you alright?”

“I'm alright.”

“Makoto?” I asked, recognizing one of the employees from my favorite bookstore.

“Levy?” His black eyes brightened a little when he realized who I was. “Hey! I haven't seen you around in a while!” He chuckled, moving dark brown hair out of his eyes.

“I went on a job with Jet and Droy,” I told him. “Anyways, are you alright? I shouldn't have been kicking pebbles--”

“Don't worry about it,” he laughed. “Made any progress with that dragon slayer of yours?” He winked when I blushed.

“Shh!” I snapped, looking around to make sure no one had over-heard him. “I don't like Gajeel, alright?”

“You sure talk about him a lot,” Makoto said, rolling his eyes.

“He's in my guild,” I shrugged, “and he gets on my nerves a lot.” I had complained to Makoto more than a few times about Gajeel, and he had begun teasing me about liking the iron dragon slayer.

“Whatever you say. Well, it was nice seeing you.” He smiled and waved before walking by me. “And if you ever give up on that dragon slayer, you should give me a shot. I'd love to take you on a date sometime!”

I gasped and turned around, staring at his back in shock as he walked away. Did he just say what I think he did?

~Gajeel~

“Damn,” I growled, laying on my bed. I had been unable to fall asleep, still thinking about Levy's injuries. I wonder how she got them? She said it was from some dark guild, but which one? I'll kill anyone who laid a finger on-- I sighed in exasperation, sitting up. “What am I thinking? The shrimp can handle herself. I can't save her from every little scratch and bruise.” Although, I wanted to, which just pissed me off even more.

Giving up on sleep, I left my house and began wandering aimlessly to clear my mind. Before I knew it, I was standing outside the gates to Fairy Hills. Why do I always end up here? Every time I took a walk to clear my head, I always found myself pacing the front gates of Fairy Hills. I cursed again, frustrated. Hell, I didn't even know why I was so frustrated—I just was.

“Gajeel?” Levy's voice brought me out of my thoughts, and I realized it was already daylight outside. How long have I been here? “What are you doing here so early?”

“No reason,” I shrugged. “I got bored, so I took a walk.”

“Oh,” she said.

“What's that?” I pointed to an extremely old-looking book in her hands. I could smell the age from the pages, and knew that it didn't just look old.