Chapter 10 - Updates and nothing more

Esme's POV 

March 24th, 2007 the calendar read on the refrigerator. Carlisle walked in and kissed my cheek wrapping his arms around my waist. “So did you miss me?”

I turned around in his arms and peered up at him, “Yes very much so. How was the conference?”

He sighed, “A conference, where drug representatives itching to give you their cards. It was too long away from you Mrs. Cullen.”

I smiled, “Well it’s the life of a doctor.”

He leaned down kissing me, “What are you not telling me? Esme I can tell something is bothering you.”

I sighed, because he was absolutely correct. I’d think he could read my thoughts like Edward, but after being with someone for 86 years, you can read each other. “It’s been a long week. I’m just a bit drained. Things are hopefully going to be better. It’s been a rough week in Port Angeles.”

Carlisle pulled back and looked at me, “What happened? Why didn’t you call me?”

I sighed, “Carlisle, you can’t fix sadness or depressesion. It was just a very emotionally trying time for Leah. Hunter was afraid. He’d never seen her like this. They’re away in Seattle for the weekend.” I smiled hoping to get him off the topic.

He eyed me again carefully. “It’s an empty house?”

I smiled, “Of course it’s a weekend.”

He laughed, leaning down to kiss me. “Well Mrs. Cullen nobody is around for miles.”

I smirked, “Let’s go then.”

When the kids arrived back Sunday evening, I was sitting on the couch. Carlisle, accompanied me. Emmett as usual had to be loud and beyond obvious, “See they don’t break stuff like we do babe. You can tell they’re the parents. Old fashioned about it.” His boisterous laugh, echoed through our home.

“Hello Emmett. Glad to see you made it home safely.”

He flopped down in a chair. “Missed you too mom.”

I smiled. It warmed me to be referred to as that and he knew it. Renesmee hopped in my lap, “Grandma oh it was so fun. I missed you though.”

I hugged her, “I missed you as well.”

The other’s quietly entered sliding off to their prospective places. “So what did you do while we were gone?” She smiled stroking my hair.

Edward covered his mouth, and Emmett burst out laughing. Renesmee turned looking at them. Alice smacked them both, as she danced along putting out new flowers.

“Well I relaxed, watched some movies, and did some cleaning. Oh boring grandma stuff.”

She giggled, “That’s not boring.”

I smiled and looked at the boys, “Jasper is now my favorite.”

He smirked, “A true gentlemen always ma’am.” His southern accent slipped through.

Carlisle smiled wrapping his arm around me.

So what do we do for Easter? Well… Leah hosted dinner for her family, well Hunter’s family. We invited Sue, Charlie and Seth over, after they were done up in Port Angeles. They came by for coffee and desert. It was nice. Sue seems a little more relaxed now. She still hovers close to Charlie. Now Charlie on the other hand, well he’s fitting in quite well. He’s warmed up to us, and isn’t so stiff around Edward anymore. He sees firsthand how carefully he takes care of Bella and Renesmee. Seth is just as comfortable as he’s always been. Everyone is doing amazing. It’s nice to have a family, and no more secrets. Well secrets within our family.

Fourth of July is quite relaxing. Leah and Hunter are down for a few days visiting. Leah seems quite happy and relaxed. She’s still studying hard, and taking a course over the summer. The girl is determined I must say that. Renesmee is growing, and it’s remarkable. We’re still the same quiet family, just looking to start new options in the next few years. 

Well it's been a year since Bella has joined our family and a year since my beautiful granddaugher was born. How I do wish I could have more grandchildren, or even children for that matter. I was taught we have to take the cards we're dealt and learn to use them. That's what I've done. I wouldn't give up this life for anything. I've found my happiness, and so has everyone else.