Chapter 17 - Grapes are a girls best friend

Days passed, and no more strange feelings. Fred was with the Cullen's, but he checked the surrounding areas. He thought he may have picked up a faint scent, but couldn't be sure. Alice was hoping to have some vision, just so she would have a definitive answer. There was nothing. I returned to work, and got back to normal routine. The boat business season was starting to slow a bit. Hunter was prepared to return to class come fall. I was doing better. Adoption wasn't looking like an option for us after all. We didn't have the kind of money it required, to take that path. So we were now looking at long term fostering, to adoption. We may not have a baby. There were a lot of factors taking this route. It took a great deal of reading, and weighing our options. Finally I just didn't have any desire to talk about it anymore.

 "Hunter just forget it ok. We can grow old together, and be happy. Let's buy a dog. There we go." I pushed off the couch, and went upstairs to the bathroom.

His head fell back as he let out a long sigh. "Why can't this be any easier."

The phone rang. "Hello?" 

Charlie cleared his throat, "Oh hi there. I was hoping to not get Leah. I wanted to talk to you. Alice is with me right now. We're discussing our what do you call it,"

 Alice perked up in the background, "Evening attire Charlie."

 He garbled something under his breath, "Monkey suits."

 Alice's laughter filled the air around her and, Charlie. "Anyways, she's put together a color scheme. She tried to ask Leah and, well that didn't get far."

 Hunter sighed again, pinching the bridge of his nose. "She's angry right now. She went upstairs to take a shower." 

Charlie didn't want to ask, but fatherly tone kicked in, "Everything ok with you two?" 

Hunter inhaled, then exhaled, "We were looking at foster parenting, to adoption. It's not an issue with the age of the child. Legally a parent could get the child back, and we're out and back at square one. Leah is upset and said we can forget about it."

 Charlie shifted, and moved to the kitchen, "All I can say is be there for her. We have some news to discuss with you. We'll see you Friday night for dinner?" 

Hunter leaned back in his chair, "Sounds good. See you then." He hung up.

I filled the tub with hot water, and added bath salts. I lit some candles and placed them on the edge of the sink. I quietly slipped my clothes off, and placed them in a pile on top of the toilet. I turned on some soft music, and cracked the window slightly. I slid into the tub slowly, and leaned back letting the water wash over me. I closed my eyes, hearing the waves in the distance. I was so angry, and disappointed. The thought that someone could rip away, someone we'd become so close with sickened me. I focused on inhaling through my nose, and exhaling through my mouth. With each breath out, I released about ten pounds of pressure on my body. Finally I felt like my body was floating on top of the water. I hummed softly, and fell asleep in the tub. When I came around, the water was now cold. I checked the clock. I had been asleep for an hour and half up here. I pulled the plug, and let the water start to drain. I stood slowly. I decided to take a shower, then head to bed. I climbed out, and dried off.

I crawled into the bed, and laid there quietly. Hunter was downstairs working still. I had no desire to speak to him. A dog. A freaking dog. Yes something that licked itself, and ate out of a bowl on the floor. Might as well let pack members just move in with us if that were the case. Not to sound rude, but honestly it wasn't fair. Things were supposed to be changing. Emily was all baby eyed, and so excited about starting a family soon. Yay woo babies. I'd been with my fiancé six whole years. It's not like I was irresponsible. Mom, and Charlie had eloped and were married now. I did everything the right way. So why would I be punished. Did I need to go to church. Prove my prayers were sincere? I felt the rise, and fall of my chest as I became sleepier. Finally it took me under.