Chapter 43 - Paris, France

Ah, autumn isn't far away, actually it is September 22nd, my the time has flown
I'm busy with working at the bookstore and shifts at work, my spare time, usually either stargazing with Fred, or spending time with my nephew Sebastian. My he's grown, so cute, everyone is captivated by him, he's three months old now, such a good boy, we all spoil him, Stefan is visiting them at the weekend, finally there's peace.

Leah is motoring round and beginning to take shifts at the hospital, she's still glowing, she still gets a little blue, but that's to be expected.

Hunter, wow, he's doting caring and still a pain, always asking for information about Joan of Arc, I have a surprise in store for them, just wait.

Okay I must go, bookstore is about to open but all in all things are as they should be.

The front door slammed shut. "I can't do this. I just can't." I'm storing through the house. Stefan looked up, from his book.

Carlisle came in quickly behind me, "Leah relax. We did everything we could."

I whipped around, "We did? WE DID? That mother lost her child. She lost her husband. She has nothing now!" I'm emotional.

Hunter walked out wiping his hands, "Shh you'll get Sebastian upset."

I'm out in the back garden when I hear the door slam and Leah's raised voice, I walk into the kitchen and motion for Leah to come out back. Watching a child die is hard and to lose you're partner too.

I walked outside, and storming down the stairs. The patio is inviting with fall flowers surrounding it. A cup of coffee is waiting for me. "Alice." She saw it, and someone made sure it was ready for me. I was heartbroken for this woman. It crushed me.

I'm not sure what to say or do, I walk out from behind the flowers, "Yes, Alice and I sortted this, come and sit down."

I look at Ara, "The baby was Sebastian's age." I swallowed, massaging my temples. The headache was crushing me, and I was crabby.

I grab her hand, this is impulse, "I'm sorry sweetie, when we are called we have to answer, yes it is hard, especially since the baby was Sebastian's age but I know you all did whatever it took to try and save them," I hang my head a second, gathering my thoughts, "it is never easy Leah and this is coming from someone who has lived far beyond her time, just try and let it wash over you."

I looked at her, and nodded. "It's my first time losing two patients in one day."

Stefan walked out quietly, "This little boy is looking for you." Stefan handed Sebastian to me, and sat down. I cradled him close, inhaling his scent. "I'm quite old. To this day, a piece of me aches for the ones I've lost. You know you're doing your job right, when you're upset for those who've lost." I looked at Stefan, then Ara.

"Old souls, with wise teachings." Sebastian cooed, and grabbed my finger. "I love you sweetheart."

I nod, "There was a time a long time ago, world war 1, I know this may pale in comparison but in less than 12 hours I lost at least 39 soldiers, all under my care, I was horrified," I look round and see Stefan, he looks happier but still haunted, "Hi Stefan, I have never lost anyone close to me, because I never had anyone," I pat Stefan just after he hands Sebastian to Leah, "very true my friend, without emotion we are robots, you did your job." I watch as Sebastian wriggles, although my heart aches, I don't think I was ever cut out for having children.

Stefan looked at Ara, "Loss, is loss. It zaps us of that happiness. It's hard, when we fought for those innocent ones." He smiled. I looked at Sebastian, and stayed quiet, stroking his cheek. "Something else is troubling you. Talk to us please."