Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

Ryan woke up the next day next to the couch where Kim had slept that night. He went over to Kim without waking her up and pulled up her shirt to see if any of the wounds had healed. Only one of the many bear trap wounds had half way healed. He had a disappointed look on his face. He covered her wounds with the shirt. He sat in front of the couch with his hands on his face. He didn't like the way things were turning out anymore. Kim could be lost forever and Ryan would be all by himself with no one to told at night. Kim had finally awakened and saw Ryan.

"Hey." She sad with a smile.

"Hey." He returned the smile but had an edge in the way his tone was.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He said with a fake smile.

"If you say so." She knew he wasn't telling the absolute truth, but she decided to roll with it. I couldn't be that major she thought to herself. "So what's for breakfast?"

"I don't know. What do you want?"

"Are eggs okay?"

"Sure thing." He said with a pleasant smile.

Kim tried to sit up.

"No. Don't try. It will only hurt more."

"Okay"

Ryan went into the kitchen to fix the eggs. Kim felt useless. She couldn't do anything now for a while. She wasn't even hungry for anything. She just wanted to break the silence between her and Ryan. She slowly started to get up. Ryan was right, with every move she made it hurt even worse than the last. Kim knew he said it would take a little bit of time to heal, but she didn't feel like she was giving Ryan enough. She continued to try to sit up. Though her muscles were objecting to the movement she kept going. She could feel a fire building up in her side where the wounds are. She gave up. It hurt too much. She lifted up her shirt and saw the wounds had barley made any progress whats so ever. Ryan came back with a try with eggs and toast on a plate. He handed the tray to Kim.

"Feel any better then yesterday?" He asked.

"Kinda."

"Good."

"Will I be okay?" She asked worried.

"Of course. Why would you even think different?" He said not telling her her real chance of survival.

"It's just that none of my wounds are healing fast enough. Or at least it doesn't seem like it."

"You'll be fine." He said with a fake smile.

Kim started to eat. Though she wasn't hungry she still ate the eggs. When she was done she handed the tray back to Ryan.

"Now you need to get some rest. The more you rest, the better it will heal."

"Aye aye captain." She said jokingly.

Ryan chuckled a little as he went into the kitchen. Kim dozed into sleep instantly. She was still exhausted with all the events yesterday. When Ryan came back into the room he knelt beside the couch. He watched her peacefully sleeping.

"You'll be okay." He said. "You'll be okay." A tear rolled down his check as he watched her. He bowed his head and cried even harder. He could never imagine his life without Kim. Not a single moment. He stood back up and went to the chair in the living room and sat in it a while before falling into slumber.