Was she okay?

A large cloud shaped bruise appeared in the right corner of my forehead.

It was slighty raised on a thrubbing lump but I was fine..

.........

Tuesday night dad came home real drunk and angry. He was waddling around the house with his black leather belt wrapped losely around his wrist.

It was late at night.. Probabally about 2am. I heard Edward sneek downstairs but I knew dad was down there.

The sound of a glass or dish breaking made my leap from my bed and fly down the stairs.

Eddy was crouched behind a coat rack. I paused at the bottom of the stairs, keeping low and making sure dad didn't know I was there.

I got over to Ed as I seized the moment when dad was throwing up in the sink.

I startled him a little as I approached him.

"Don't get to close darlin, he's real angry" Ed warned me.

We were really close. All of us were close but especially me and Edward.

He had quite a singing voice on him bless him. I'd heard him about the house when he thinks no-ones around.

He also plays acoustic guitar and he performs little gigs at the local community centre across the way. But our parents forbid us from leaving the house so the remaining kids had to course a distraction while he sneeked out.

Stage an argument, pretend to be real sick or hurt to get our parents attention, I dunno - what ever we could think of on the night really.

..........

Dad turned and starred at us like some zombie thing. Mouth dropped open, eyes vaccant and clothes on a wonk.

He took a step towards us and Eddy grabbed my hand.

We stood to our feet and rushed towards the back door as he took a few more steps.

Eddy and I ran across the grass and hurdled the metre high wooden fence bordering our garden.

About 100 metres over the fence is the first tree of about 2000 which together build up the orchard.

These Apple Trees are larger than most and one of them was the foundation of our childhood treehouse.

This is where Ed and I were heading.