Sam

Joja Mart; the place where people come to die. Sam though as he mopped the same four floor tiles he had been working on for the past hour. He watched as two or three people from town came in and bought groceries. He hated his job. He hated feeling like he was wasting away into nothing while he could be working on his music. He sighed deeply as his reached his hand into his pocket, pulling out a small mp3 player, skipping to the next song. Today, his soundtrack consisted of songs that he was in the process of writing. Something about them felt off, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Lately, Sam had been working on new music, a new feeling that was consuming him lately.

Sam hated being that guy, who stuck with the times. That guy who was always cliché. But, with the colder weather of fall and his best friend away with his girlfriend, Sam couldn't help but feel lonely, abandoned. Most importantly, however, he felt heartbreak. Not directly. But, Abigail had been distancing herself lately. Sam could understand why-everyone could-but, he was still there for her. I'm always there... He took another deep sigh, glancing towards a small clock that hung against the wall over the store doors. Five more minutes.

As Sam clocked out for his day, leaving the Joja Mart behind, ecstatic to be back in the real world. The automatic doors closed behind him, as he spread out his arms relieved. The sun was beginning to set on the ocean, and there was a chill in the air. Thinking of dinner almost being ready, he threw his work apron over his shoulder and began walking home. Sam hummed quietly to himself as his music was still playing through his head phones, when he saw something catch his eye in the distance. Normally, the town was quiet and still during this time of day. Everyone was at home being with their families. It was strange to still see someone outside.

He slowed his walked, watching in wonderment and awe as he neared the community center. Just like always, there was Abigail. Practicing for her adventures, sword in hand. He watched her for a moment, as he hid behind some shrubbery, as she tried to catch her breath. As she reached up to wipe her brow, he spoke out.

"Looks like you're getting pretty good."

"Damnit Sam!" she squealed, jumping at the sound of his voice. "You know I hate it when you do that."

"I know, but I didn't want to interrupt you."

"You could have said something, though." She said as she turned to face him. As she looked at him, Sam had to remind himself to say something, to keep the conversation going. Which felt odd. They had been friends for years, but recently, Sam was finding it more and more difficult to talk with Abigail, without the buffer of Sebastian around.

"So... They're still out of town for a few more days. Did you want to do something?" Abigail huffed, gathering her sword as she headed towards her home.

"Of course, they are. I don't feel like doing anything." She sounded agitated. Sam cursed himself for a moment-he had a knack for turning their conversations to Sebastian and Aisleigh, without thinking of how it would bother Abigail. No. Not this time.

"You know, Abigail. I'm trying to be a friend here. I know the whole relationship with Sebastian and Aisleigh is a sore spot for you. I get it. But, come on. There isn't anything you can do about it, other than get over it. You knew he didn't want to date you. I don't understand why you're so upset still." Abigail stopped in her tracks, her head hung low. Ah shit... "S-sorry, Abigail. I just hate seeing you like this. Before Aisleigh moved her, and even before they started dating, you were always this bright and sunny girl who was always up for anything. But, lately, you just seem so angry and I don't know why." Sam paused for a moment, waiting to see if Abigail would say anything in return. "You can still be friends with him. And Aisleigh. I'm pretty sure she misses you too."