Chapter Seven

^^^^^^ For encouraging me to continue writing. Thank you so much!

                                                     Picture of Derek on the side>>>>>>>>>

     It was dark, very dark. There wasn’t a person in sight and I loved it. I lay on the open grass and gazed at the stars above me. Sometimes I wished that I could travel through space and time. The space part would just be amazing. I had loved watching the human civilization come up with satellite after satellite. All the pictures fascinated me. As for time, I would go back to the moment my eyes laid on James; and I would change it all.

     I hated to admit it; but being around him was the hardest thing in the world. It was probably even harder than making the effort to talk to my father. I detested myself for being so weak. I had never had to watch my every move and always be on guard. I was holding my breath more often. What kind of a relationship is that?

     I could hear an orchestra of tree frogs, wild turkeys, and cicadas. I smiled to myself. This is music. Then I heard a low wolf howl in the distance. It bounced off the forest and echoed into my ears. The sound was beautiful.

     I closed my eyes and let the coolness of the grass take over my senses. I was almost unaware of the bodily presence coming toward me… almost. It was fast which indicated vampire; but the smell was familiar. It was Derek. He stopped at the edge of the opening and walked toward my body.

     I lay still, not bothering to move. I felt him lay on the grass beside me. It surprised me somewhat; but I decided to not let that show too much. His breathing was even, and a comfortable silence enveloped us. We sat there quietly for almost an hour. It was getting darker out if that was even possible. He ended up breaking the stillness.

     “My uncle is on the Vampirical council.” His tone was even. “That’s the only reason I live over here at all.” I felt like there was more to it than that. “Well, that’s not entirely the only objective.” He sighed lightly. I could tell this was hard for him, so I kept my mouth closed. “My dad, well, he doesn’t agree with some things about my life.”

     I turned toward him, feeling the need to look in his eyes as he continued. His gaze was on the stars above. “There was an arranged marriage when I was a few centuries old. My father was adamant that if I didn’t marry the girl then I would lose everything; and he would never look on me as a son. It ruined me completely. I refused to go along with their schemes. The girl was well off and our family was going through a dry time; so they needed me to help them out. I didn’t want them to run my life just because they were out of money. I’ve always had a knack for investments so I don’t know why they didn’t just ask me.”

     He looked my way. “Is it wrong to want my own life? To make my own decisions?” I knew the questions were rhetorical. “I’m sorry for blocking that from you.” His eyes showed his sincerity. “I just…” He searched for the right words. “I don’t like to seem weak.”

     I understood what he meant. In our society, being disowned and going against a parent’s request was one of the worst crimes. It was a sign of flaw; and everyone turned their noses up at the slightest bit of rebellion. I nodded, wanting to give him my silent understanding.

     He smiled lightly. “I don’t regret it though. It gave me a chance to have a new life. I have my club, my uncle looks out for me, and I’m lying in the grass with the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen.” His eyes sparkled in the dark; and he leaned in slightly.

     No thoughts of James crossed my mind. Derek was the one with me out here in the secluded woods. He was the one who had opened up so much to me. He was the one who was just like me. He was trying to find himself by living life in his own way.