Chapter Eleven

>>>Picture of the new James>>>

     According to Derek, nothing was going to happen to me. It didn’t help to calm my damn nerves. I had called my mother, but it went directly to her voicemail.

     I was now making my way to my new apartment. Apparently, Elizabeth had persuaded a landlord to give us an entire floor. Somehow I doubt she used bribery. At least her persuasive touch worked very well. She also hired four vampire guards who were to watch all entrances.

     I arrived on our floor and was greeted by a burly guy. He looked me over and tensed up considerably. Lizzie appeared at the end of the hall just in time. She was in front of the burly guy within two seconds flat. I watched her give him a flirty smile and place a gentle hand on his chest. She was using her charm and this guy was absolutely helpless.

     “Calm down, Tony. This is my best friend.” He nodded curtly but didn’t loosen his stance. Her hands trailed up and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Slowly, he turned his gaze to Lizzie. His eyes softened as she leaned up and kissed him.

     I felt like the third wheel so I walked down to my apartment. “310, 309, 308, 307,” I mumbled, counting the apartment numbers as I made my way down the hall. I grabbed the keys for 307 when I heard a door open to my right.

     It was Miguel. As our gaze met, he strode quickly over to me. “I’m sorry for always being overbearing,” he started. “I just want to protect my baby sister.” His head hung slightly.

     I had never seen my brother like this. He was entirely sincere. It baffled me and I had no clue how to respond. Seems I didn’t need to because I watched as his eyes flashed dangerously. I had never seen such intensity in his eyes and it scared the shit out of me. I watched as he stormed down the hall, directing all of his attention to the couple kissing.

     “Miguel,” I said warningly into his head. “Get back over here.”

     It was too late. He was already pulling them apart. I was over there in one second and saw the look of shock on Lizzie’s face. Pushing Miguel back against a wall, I got into a defensive stance between him and Tony.

     “What the hell is wrong with you?” Elizabeth yelled at Miguel. He didn’t reply. He only barred his teeth at the vampire behind me.

     I kept my stance and tried to keep down the fear I felt in that moment. “Laura, get out here right this second!” I yelled in her head.

     Suddenly the atmosphere in the hall changed. Miguel was immobilized before me as Tony was still behind me. I was finally able to relax somewhat. Miguel was still throwing daggers with his eyes.

     Laura came up and looked at Miguel. Shaking her head, she said, “Can you just keep it together for an hour?” Her look of disdain didn’t seem to affect him whatsoever. She led Tony out the door. I stood straighter, not feeling the threat any more.

     Elizabeth walked up to Miguel and put her hand on his cheek. His eyes instantly softened and I shook my head. “Why would you do that?” she asked with kindness.

     He searched her face before responding. “I’m in love with you, Elizabeth.”

     Her face paled considerably, she dropped the hand on his cheek, and took a step back. “I… I can’t.” With that said, she walked away.

     I couldn’t even believe what had just happened. Miguel looked shocked, torn, and upset. Liz was already in her room. Well, I sure wasn’t going to deal with my brother’s emotions. It’s not like he would open up about it after being shut down like that. Liz sure had a lot of explaining to do later.