Chapter Ten

I woke up, my mind immediately going to my phone. I saw the message from Derek. Absolutely! I got up quickly and changed into something more suitable than my pajamas. There was a deep burning in my chest and throat and I realized I was hungry. Walking by one of the rooms, I could hear talking inside. It would have been muffled to anyone else, but my ears picked it up.

    “Massage my back, baby.” The voice was definitely Lizzy and it was her persuasive one. I figured she must be talking to her human toy.

     “Anything for you, Jessica.”

     Jessica? Really? I tried really hard to contain my laughter. Elizabeth and her “street names,” I thought to myself.

     I made my way out the door after shooting a message to “Jessica” that I would be out.

     My nose perked up at the scent I had picked up about a mile out. It smelled wonderfully delicious. My mouth watered for about the hundredth time and I picked up my pace. Nothing was going to make me deviate from this one. I was hot on its trail. I tried to smell for a gender, but it was hard. At this point, it really didn’t matter. My only desire was to sink my teeth into this person’s blood stream. It actually smelled familiar but I couldn’t place it. My mind was too wild with desire.

     The trail took me to a large house with pillars. Oh, rich blood is always more savory, I thought. I walked right through the front door without even bothering to open it. I licked my lips, moaning softly. I could feel my mouth watering even more as I took in the powerful scent that filled the house. I had better be careful before drool starts to drip down my face. Then I’d look like a crazed animal. Not that anyone would remember.

     I glided swiftly through the building, making sure to stay unseen. If I had to bite more than one person there might be a problem. I followed the smell, coming to a door. Just as I opened it, my vision and mind went black.

     “Marcilla!” a familiar voice yelled into my muddled head.

     I groaned in agitation. Who the hell was trying to get my attention when I had this terrible headache? It was comparable to a hangover. I tried to lift myself off of the bed. Definitely a hangover, I thought as I dropped back down onto a soft bed. Even my thoughts sounded loud to me. A potent smell invaded my nostrils. Shooting up, I hit a hand that held some smelling salts.

     “Marcilla, you need to open your eyes.” The voice said sternly.

     “It hurts,” I rasped, not realizing that my throat was so scratching. “Derek? Is that you?”

     “Yes, babe, it’s me. I need you to open your eyes for me.”

     I tried as hard as I could. Then I tried harder. Finally, I was able to open my eyes slightly.

     He breathed a long sigh of relief. “Do you remember anything from this morning?”

     I pushed myself, but it just made my head worse. “Where am I?” I questioned when I couldn’t figure anything out.

     “You’re at my house. I went to your apartment to find you and you had gone out to eat. That’s what Lizzie told me.”

     I nodded my head, remembering that part. “I was hungry and I went to get something to eat. I smelled something really good and followed the scent.” Memories started to come together. “It was a big house with large pillars in the front. I walked through the house until I opened a door on the far right. The smell must have knocked me out because I don’t remember anything after that.”