Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

"You have to go," I said to Derek. He just looked at me. "My sister is in there!"

"Laura?" he asked.

I groaned in frustration. "Yes and the longer you stand there she is in danger! Go get her!"

With a nod, he disappeared. Liz and Miguel walked into the living room, and I followed silently. We waited and we waited some more. I was going insane just sitting there, so I decided to pace on the lush carpet.

"You're making me nervous," Miguel said.

"Well, I can't just sit there knowing that my sister is in danger and I just sent my boyfriend by himself to rescue her."

He had the audacity to chuckle before turning serious. "She's my sister too, Marcilla."

I continued to pace, trying to clear my thoughts. I started quoting poetry. It started off light with The Bells by Edgar Allen Poe. It made me feel happy and slightly giddy. Then I remembered why I had even started quoting poetry in the first place. I went to Never Give All Your Heart by W. Yeats. I became seriously depressed as The Raven, another Edgar Allen Poe poem, came to mind.

I couldn't help the grumble that escaped my mouth. Miguel and Liz both looked at me suspiciously. I just waved them off as I finished the poem in my head. I glanced at the clock. It had been at least twenty minutes. Or had it been more? I couldn't tell.

Finally, the air started changing. Laura appeared, holding up Derek who had a pole running through his side. We all ran toward him as Laura set him down on the ground.

"He's fine. Don't look at me like that," she said, seeing my angry expression.

"He's fine? He's got a damn pole through him!"

She rolled her eyes at me and replied, "I'll get him some blood. Miguel, pull the pole out."

Miguel nodded, ignoring my horrified look. Laura disappeared into the kitchen and Miguel moved forward. I held Derek's hand as his eyes fluttered. I looked anxiously at Miguel who now had both his hands wrapped around the pole. I closed my eyes as he pulled. When I opened my eyes again, Derek's eyes were as large as saucers and he was lurched forward. Blood flowed from his mouth in shots. I jumped back in fear as he coughed and sputtered up more blood. I could have fainted right there.

Laura came back with a cup of blood with a straw. She didn't even spare me a glance as she motioned for Elizabeth to hold him upright. He drank the human blood and lay back down calmly. The blood leaving his body lessened and the wound healed entirely. He let out a sigh of relief and reached for my hand which I quickly put into his. We were all solemnly quiet for several minutes. I didn't even have the energy to use my power of insight to figure out what might have happened back in New York City.

"What happened?" Liz asked the question that the three of us were thinking.

Derek just closed his eyes. Laura looked irritated as she answered, "I don't want any interruptions as I tell this." She barely waited for a response. Maybe she knew that she wasn't going to get one from me. "I was in my room, minding my own business, when suddenly lover-boy over here decides to show up. I was in no mood to talk to him... or anyone else for that matter, so I immobilized him." She shrugged her shoulders as she finished her sentence.

My eyes barely stayed in their sockets. "You did what!?!" I yelled. "You have got to be kidding me!" I felt a hand on my shoulder which I quickly shrugged off and stood, coming to face my sister. "You didn't think that maybe he might have had a reason to show up in your room?"