CHAPTER THIRTY: Prank Gone Wrong

Percy's POV

Cupcake set us own near the volleyball courts. I had just had time to thank her and Blackjack before being mobbed. Most of camp was giving us hugs, and we hugged back. They made us explain everything, which didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. Everyone erupted in cheers when we were finished, but when we talked about the part about holding up the sky, there was complete silence. But everyone agreed it was good news that we wouldn't have to fight another war. Who wouldn't?

"Good job, my children," Chiron told Annabeth and I once the crowd started to thin out.

"We couldn't have without Zoe," I responded. Chiron just nodded a bit sadly.

Annabeth went over to talk with Reyna and Piper, and Grover and Thalia came up to me again (they were one of the first people to attack us with hugs).

"So Zoe was really back?" Thalia asked me.

"Yeah." I stared her right in the eye. "She was. The same as I remembered her." Thalia just smiled and slightly shook her head. Then she went over to the other three girls. I looked at Grover and his eyes were a mix of joy and sorrow.

"Just glad you're back, man." Then he embraced me again, and I thumped him on the back. He said something about needing to tell Juniper, and headed towards the woods.

Then Leo and Calypso were by my side.

"We've got it all figured out, amigo," Leo whisper-shouted. "Blueprints are done and the space is officially yours. All that's left to do is build."

"That's great! Thanks guys," I responded, super excited. "How did you ask Chiron if we could build there."

"Oh, we told him that Festus wanted a place to stay, like a stable, so we wanted to build him one," Calypso answered.

"Which is a total lie," Leo added. "He loves randomly walking through the woods, but nobody knows that except us."

Maybe they should build Festus his own house. I get worried every time I walk into the woods that I'm going to be blow torched. Maybe I shouldn't build my house in the woods... But I don't think Festus would do that anymore.

I was going to say something, but Annabeth chose just then to come over.

"What does nobody know except you three?"

"Er, that Festus is tired of living in the woods and wants us to build him a home," Leo quickly said.

"Oh, poor Festus," Annabeth mumbled. I blew out a breath, relieved that she believed him. "So where are you guys going to build?"

"Haven't decided yet," Calypso said smoothly.

"Well, let me know when you do, I'd like to help," Annabeth replied. Crap.

"I'm sure they will, Wise Girl, but we need to get you to the infirmary to have Will look at your arm," I told her, already nudging her in that direction. We waved goodbye to Leo and Calypso, and when Annabeth wasn't looking, Leo mouthed to me that was close. I nodded my head vigorously, and kept walking Annabeth to the infirmary.

"We need to tell them about your back," Annabeth ordered me.

"Fine," I grumbled. It did hurt, like a lot, but I wasn't sure that anything could be done for it. Plus, I didn't want to sound like I was complaining. But I suppose that I would make Annabeth happy.

"Percy, Annabeth!" Will greeted us as we walked through the doors. "Sorry I didn't go join the fanclub, it's been a bit busy in here."

"No problem, man. What happened?" I asked, worried about why the infirmary would be busy.

"Well, why don't I let them tell you." Will led us to two beds that were laying side-by-side. Two boys were wrapped up like mummies on top of them. A girl was sitting beside one of them.

"Glad you guys are back," Katie Garder told us.

"Uh, thanks," Annabeth responded. "What happened?"

"Prank gone wrong," Connor Stoll answered.

"It would have been awesome, too, if it hadn't totally backfired," Travis added. I raised my eyebrows. At my expression, Katie muttered,

"You don't even want to know."

After that, Annabeth, Will, and I left those three alone.

"So, what are you guys doing here, besides coming to see me?" Will asked us.

Annabeth sneakily slid off her ring and pressed it into my palm before rolling up her sleeve and showing Will her left arm. It was hot out, but she wore long sleeves to cover the wound. "Empousa cut," was all she told him. Her arm had gotten even worse since her dad's house. Now the skin was completely green and the veins were prominent with a weird, sickly purple tint to them. It looked extremely painful, and I have no idea how Annabeth was standing it.

Will examined it closely, and then walked away to get supplies. When he came back, he led Annabeth over to the sink and poured nectar all over her arm. Then something else that made Annabeth flinch.

"Sorry," Will mumbled. "Should've warned you that would burn."

Then he spread some cream on it and wrapped it up. He gave her some orders on how to take care of the wound until it healed, but he said it would be fine.

"Anything else?" he asked us.

"Well," I started, only after Annabeth elbowed me. I told Will about my back. Tons of questions and a few x-rays later, the son of Apollo still had nothing.

"I'll do some research, try to talk with my dad, and get back with you," he told me. "Have you been taking Tylenol?"

"Uh... no."

"Take some of that, you idiot," he said, slapping my arm playfully. I promised him I would, and Annabeth and I left.

"So, when do you want to tell everyone about the engagement?" I asked her. 

She looked up at me smiled. "How about right now?"