Chapter 37

"You said there were how many guards? Four?" Murphy asked, and I nodded. "Just at the entrance?" Another nod. "We have about seven seconds to take them out before they call for help." Murphy decided. I stared at him, just blinking. "What?"

"How are you so sure?"

"I knew some great fighters, and planners" He said, and I just shrugged, agreeing with his idea. He was correct on how many seconds we would have. I had thought the same thing. Maybe I had underestimated John Murphy'a abilities. 

"Let's go" I whispered, and started to walk while crouched down. The warriors were right above me. I can't even comprehend what I am actually going to do. I nodded to Murphy, and we jumped out of the shadows on the first two guards, cutting their necks. I grabbed the one closest to me, and dodged two punches, and a sword, then killed him. 

"Alex!" Murphy hissed at me. One was running. I drew an arrow and put it in the running guard's neck, and he collapsed. I walked over, and took off his mask, and immediately reeled back in disgust. It was the one from when I finally finished my border patrol. "What are you doing?" Murphy asked. "Lets get inside!"

I nodded, and dropped the mask, running ahead inside, Murphy on my heels. If I got to Lexa or Clarke, then she could help me get rid of Titus. She can finally get rid of him. One of them, at least. 

We zigzagged through hallways, trying to find Lexa and Clarke's room. If they weren't there, I'd go to the throne room. 

"Please please please" I whispered to myself as I broke into Lexa's room. Nothing. I checked the drawers, and everything was left as I remembered. Nothing. Fear spiked into my chest, and I reeled out of the room, sprinting to the throne room. Murphy was still my shadow. 

"Where is she?" Murphy asked me. 

"I don't know" I whispered back to him, and we stopped in front of the throne room. "I'm sure she is. How else would she have heard of my going missing?" I asked Murphy, facing him. 

"Maybe it was staged" Murphy told me. "What if Titus set it up? Just to get me killed and get himself money from your capture?"

I shook my head no. "Those things don't happen around here. Lexa knows I'm missing. She knows" 

"Is she in here?" He nodded towards the throne room. 

"I...I don't know" I say, and he frowned. "Murphy, I want you to leave, just in case Lexa isn't in here" I say, and he frowns even more. 

"Why would you want me to leave?" He asked. 

"Because, I don't want anyone else dying from my mistakes, and you have helped me so much. Hopefully someday I will repay you. I can't if you're dead" I tried to explain. He squeezed my shoulder, and I put my hand on top of his. 

"I'm going with you. Even though I might die, I'll die doing the right thing, and not running. Honestly, you're the best company I've had in a while. Thank you" Murphy said with a small, sad smile. "Now, lets face whatever is on the other side of the door" 

I nodded, and opened the door, quietly stepping inside. Looking around, I noticed it was empty. 

"It's completely empty from life" I said, and looked around, and then stared at the actual throne. "No one is here"

"Isn't that slightly sketchy to you?" Murphy asked me. "I mean, usually this place is crawling with guards and the Commander's lapdog, Titus" Murphy shook his head. "Now it's absolutely empty?"

I walked up to the throne, and stared at it. There was a knife there. Murphy strode to my side, and stared at the knife. He becomes very irritable, and I look at him, then wish I hadn't. 

"Murphy, what's wrong?" I asked him. His eyes were wide. 

"Alex, we have to go" he said in a shaky voice. "Alex lets go now" He grabbed my arm. 

"Why?" I asked, letting him pull me towards the door. "Murphy what's going on?" 

The door slammed shut a moment too late for Murphy and I. He stared at me, fear clawing at his mind. "It's a trap"