The Choosing ceremony

"Stop being so nervous, everyone knows he's going to choose you," Angelia tells me. I stop messing with my nails, she's right, but there's still the chance that I won't be the one.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the court, please rise for the choosing ceremony," Archer the announcer, tells everybody.

The crowd gets quiet and they all look toward the doors.I rise and look down the isle and see the prince. He's stunning in all white, with the kingdoms seal embroidered on his sleeve. The white brings out his blue eyes, and his dirty blonde hair matches the color of the kingdoms seal. He walks past me and we make eye contact, heat flushes my face. He gets up to the choosing podium and exchanges a few words to Archer.

"Welcome everybody to the first choosing ceremony in a decade, I would first like to thank everyone for coming, secondly I would like to thank the girls for making these past weeks memorable," the prince says in a respectful manor.

"Prince Aelius, have you made your decision?" Archer asks the prince.

The prince nods his head.

"Will the girls rise?" Archer asks us. All twelve of us rise: Angelia, Augusta, Cecilia, Delphina, Ebony, Eliza, Lelila, Octavia, Rose, Me, Violet, and xena. I look at my opponents, they stare right back, Angelia gives me a thumbs up, I give her one back. The prince steps up on the announcer stand, he makes eye contact with all of us. Lingering on me for a second longer, then moves on, by now my heart is racing, and my hands start to get sweaty.

"My bride, my wife, my princess is... Delphina." My heart stops,tears start to fill my eyes, gasps fill the room, Delphina looks as surprised as I am. I had it in the bag, I was the proper lady, I was perfect, I made all the right moves, I didn't mess up. Delphina walks up to the podium, the prince holds out his hand to Delphina, she takes it. She does look stunning tonight the blue dress sets off her black hair, and her brown eyes fill with tears of joy. She stands next to the prince, although I hate to admit they do look stunning the princes light brown skin tone and Delphinas darkish skin tone goes well together. Light and darkness in one.

"Attention. Attention everyone," the prince tells everyone. I sit down with all the other girls. It suddenly gets quiet, I can't stop staring at the two of them, my chance, my easy way out is gone so suddenly.

"I would first like to give my condolences to the other girls, and I would like to introduce everyone my fiancee."

I just block everything else out, time passes and everyone starts to file out the room. Angelia grabs my hand and squeezes it when she passes, I'm one of the last people to leave and as I walk toward the door, I catch the princes eye. He starts walking towards me, but I walk faster and faster, until I'm out the door and now I'm running down the hall. I get to my room, and start packing, I have to leave now, just then memories come at me.