Chapter 2- Home Sweet Home

Edited

Chapter 2- Home Sweet Home

I've been walking day and night, only resting for 10 minutes every hour. Two whole days it took me to finally get back to where I started. The back door is still unlocked however everything is exactly where I left it. For no living thing to even have occupied the house whilst I was gone was peculiar. Our neighbourhood was full of crime and with nothing stopping them, the deserted, open house was handing business to them on a silver platter.

It could be hours or even days before he comes to get me, so looking around wont hurt. The loft would be a good place to start. "Start from the top and work your way down" is what I was always told. Every year I would help get presents down for birthdays and Christmas. Standing on the ladder, I now know why Mum hated having to come up here! Dad never got time to fix the wobbly steps.

Boxes and boxes of junk was all over the place. I can see the wedding box over in the corner. Mum's wedding dress would've fit me now, I know as I put it up against my body to compare. She was so beautiful and elegant and too young to die. But it's too late now. I wipe the tears away from my eyes. I miss them both so much.

The number of photo albums we've got is amazing! There must be hundreds filled to the brim. Flicking through them is heartbreaking. There's pictures of Mum and Dad, Uncle Jack (he always reminded me of a partly shaven bear) and there's one of me putting the star on the Christmas tree. The youngest lady of the household would put it on every year. Just one of our family traditions.

There's that word I keep saying. Family. If it weren't for family, then they wouldn't be dead. It would have been my callous skeleton lying in the deep, dark graves. Everything I could get my hands on went flying across the attic. I sunk to my knees with tears pouring down my face. I hope he comes soon!

The back door slammed open so hard I can hear it from in the loft. It's him! I mean... it must be. Unless it's the postman. Doubt it but my fantasy is keeping me as calm as I can be. I can hear footsteps coming up the stairs, with a two second pause between each step.

"Come on my dear" he snarled. "No need to be afraid."

I can just see his 'feet' on the top step. I hold my breath.

"Are you coming down or do I have to come up and play hide and seek?"

Moving into his view, I can see what he really is. Crossed between a bear and a robot kind of machine, I don't know what to call him.

"There you are, baby cakes. I've been looking many years for you" he smiled.

Hearing him call me baby cakes makes me feel sick.

"Well now you have the pleasure of meeting me finally" I replied.

"Indeed I do. What is your name?"

"You've been searching for me without any knowledge about me?" I hope my confusion don't show.

"Yes, well you have something I desire."

"What exactly is that?" I stand my ground. I've always wanted to know the answer to this.

"Youth"

"Out of the whole human race, why did you pick me? And why did you kill my parents?"

"My goodness, you are a girl of many questions."

I dare not to reply.

"Well I need youth to live longer and you have plenty of it. You are beautiful Fleur, plus, I know you."

My feet are cemented to the ground, unable to move.

"And about your parents. Let's just say they got in my way and thought they were betrayed by their own family."

"So you do know my name!" I pointed out, ignoring his past comment.

"Yes of course I do. I'm your Uncle Jack!" He smiled.

I can see the resemblance with this small move and know then what I didn't expect. It's either killing your family or being killed by it.